13.

Tommy had gotten a right beating, and still hadn't had sense knocked into him-at least that's what Uncle Charlie thought when he showed up, having left the hospital early and limped down to the yard where the horses grazed and broken car parts lay scattered. He was still on about business, even with a nosebleed and bruises galore. He boarded a boat, to Camden Town, to visit someone-a someone named Alfie Solomons. Oh, and Campbell, that bloody shit-he was back. 

Lily was quite curious-after Tommy was back in Small Heath, he had taken Polly for a surprise-Arthur, John, Finn and Lily with them. Tommy had bought Polly a house-and Lily had her nose in the air and was sniffing away at the new territory, trying to make sense of where she was. "It has a garden, eh? I'm sure Lily will love to play in it when she comes to visit. If you'd like her to visit, that is." He lightly pushed some of the lace curtains out of the way to let light filter in from outside. He knew, of course his aunt would have the child visit-for she lavished love on the girl like no other. But he knew the older woman was wearing thin-and she needed a break, a place of solitude. Arthur handed his aunt the key, a sly grin on his face as he welcomed her to her new abode. But their aunt sat, slowly, as if something were wrong-setting the key down on a polished wood table and taking her hat off. "Arthur. Why don't you take the boys outside and wait by the car." Tommy cleared his throat, pulling out a pack of smokes and scraping a chair back, settling in front of his aunt. "I know you haven't been happy in a while." He began, explaining that he had spoken to Esme and found word of one of her children-still alive and that he knew how to find out where. He had contact with people who knew people, who could get into records. "Pol. I am going to find your son and daughter, and bring them home. That is what this house is for-so that you can bring your family home where they belong." He said gently. "I know you worry about Lily-she can visit. Hell, she can stay over a couple nights at a time, for it's you she yearns for to hold her and kiss her cheeks. Not me, not Arthur or John or Finn." He continued, holding back a cough as he blew smoke out of the corner of his lips. "But I will have her taken care of-not in an asylum-but at home. Do you hear me? I have hired a nurse maid to help with her, and me and the boys will do the rest. You deserve this, Polly." He said, and Polly reached for his hand to clasp it tightly, with shining tears of gratitude in her eyes. Truth be told, Tommy knew dealing with Lily without as much help from Polly would be difficult, but she would still be around a bunch to help, still be involved in business to guide them-and Lily could stay over at Pol's at times, too. He watched as Lily's fingers found a trunk of dolls in the corner, and she smiled and rocked a porcelain doll with blonde hair back and forth crudely in her arms-an attempt of playing mother.  "We're moving up, Pol." He spoke. He would make do with money to pay for a maid, to help as well-and he pushed away thoughts of Grace. 

"You know what Arthur-just fuck off. I've had enough." Tommy turned away from the window. Arthur had blown a fuse again down at the fighting ring, had beaten a boy bloody until he died. Tommy couldn't deal with this shit-not right now. "I'm supposed to treat you like a fucking kid again, eh? Keep you away from guns and fucking rope like we do with Lily-watch your every step-is that it? You think I haven't got enough on?" He yelled, voice raising. Arthur flinched, tears coming in his anguish. If Lily could hear she would have flinched too-Tommy raising his voice was rare, he was more likely to go quiet with his rage-cold and scary. But Lily sat, rocking a doll she had brought from aunt Pol's house. She rocked back and forth with all the grace of a wild monkey-her movements mechanical and methodical-for she knew not how to act with the gentleness of a mother-she had never seen it. She only knew how to play with what she felt. "The war is done-shut the door on it. Shut the door on it, like I did-eh? Can you fucking do that?  I have got enough with this fucking child who acts like a zoo animal, Arthur." Tommy seethed. Arthur jumped up from his seat, gripping Tommy by his collar and screaming as they both collided into the mirror. "I'm not fucking you! Everyone fucking knows it. God!" Arthur cried. Tommy shoved his brother against the mirror. "Look at yourself, man. Look at yourself, right? Take a long, hard, fucking look at yourself." He spoke in the gravelly way that he did, before letting Arthur weakly collapse into the chair. "Look-now you've startled her." Tommy pointed, where Lily had stopped rocking her doll, and had curled into herself on the floor from the crashes she felt through the floor. Tommy snapped his fingers to Arthur. "Deal with it. Help her up. I've got work to do." He breezed out the door, head feeling thick with stress. Campbell was back, Sabini was aware of his plans to take over London, Arthur had gotten the blues again, and Lily-there was always Lily. "I'm sorry, Lily girl. Jesus. I'm sorry." Arthur knelt on the floor, swiping his tears away and sitting the child up. She reached forward, feeling the hot tears on his face, eyebrows knit together as she mimicked a sad face. "Yes, Lily. Sad. I'm sad. You understand that feeling, don't ya?" Arthur wept, holding the small girl close-as for once, she didn't pull away. Tommy stormed back in, boots heavy as he emptied the bullets from Arthurs gun, and tossed the bottle of whiskey into the fire-and then again he was gone. 

Lily sat up in the late night, nursing a warm glass bottle jar of milk. The grand reopening of the Garrison under Arthur's name as the new owner had gone late, and Tommy arrived back at the flat to see the maid rocking Lily as she lay in her arms, suckling the milk from the bottle like a baby. Tommy stood, taking in the sight with a glow from the low fireplace reflecting in the blue pools of his eyes. "She wouldn't sleep. She was quiet for me and let me bathe and feed her, but she won't go in her bed. Keeps making a sign with her fingers but I don't know what she wants." The gray haired maid-an older woman-informed Tommy. "It's alright-you can go. Thank you." He inclined his head in thanks, and sat gingerly on the couch next to the sleepy child that would not rest. "Arthur gave you quite the startle today, didn't he, Lily girl." He hummed to her, although she could not hear him. "I suppose you miss your aunt Pol, don't you. She usually puts you to sleep." He sighed heavily. "I've got business, you understand, child? I've got...all these things and I cannot-I cannot give you the proper attention you need. I know that. But I must try." He muttered, lighting a cigarette. 

And they stayed that way-Lily eventually crawling over to his lap, lying her soft head of curls onto the fabric of his suit. A tenderness filled Tommy's heart, then, and he simply sat in the warm feeling of love for his sister, watching as she breathed in and out gently. 

*authors note: I am such a sucker for Lily and Tommy's sweet moments. It's usually when Lily is tired and calm that she lets Tommy touch her and be close to her, and may even find herself wanting his affections.