7.

All calm sweet resolve between Tommy and Lily was gone the next morning. By the time Grace had arrived, Tommy was holding Lily by one arm, as she struggled in his grip. Dishes were smashed on the floor, and it was clear to see the child had knocked them over off the table. "Did we have an accident this morning?" Grace tried to speak cheerfully, despite the awkward scene in front of her. "Something needs to be done, Pol. She cannot go about smashing dishes and kicking us when she doesn't get her way." Tommy said in a low tone, letting go of Lily's arm and turning to walk out the door, not giving Grace a glance. Ada and Polly stooped to scoop up Lily and brought her upstairs. Grace helped them scrub her clean and dress her in new clothes-something that they didn't usually bother with-but Grace had suggested yesterday that she learn when she dirtied things she must get clean. Although so far all the baths and fresh clothes were just agitating her-she splashed wildly and squawked like a bird when she was touched with soap ,as if the notion of cleanliness was a nightmare. 

After a long morning of getting cleaned, Grace walked with Lily and Ada around Small Heath, stopping at a spot Lily was fond of-a patchy area of soft grass. When Lily realized she was in grass and not the sloppy mud (which could be quite fun for her to play in like a little pig, according to Polly) or the cold hard street ground, she knelt down and grinned as she felt the soft green sprigs in between her fingers. It was a beautiful thing to see, Lily being one with nature, despite her rough demeanor and tendency towards violence when she was upset. 

*authors note: I am so sorry for the short chapter. I had a bit of writers block but I managed to get something out.