15.

Tommy entered the betting den, joining John, Esme, and a woman named May-who was to train Tommy's racehorse for Epsom. Lily sat on the floor with one of her dolls-the maid had left early-and Esme had been keeping an eye on the girl while she set up the shop for the morning. Tommy apologized for his lateness-he had been tending to something, he had said. He showed may around, and may was careful to step around the small child on the floor, as she brushed her dolls hair. "She's an adorable child-who is this?" She leant down. "That is Lily Shelby. The youngest of our clan. She's my sister." Tommy cleared his throat. The woman noticed the way that the child stared off at the wall, nose tilted to the air, as if to catch a scent-much like an animal. "Hello, Lily." She said softly. The child ignored her. 

"She can't hear you. Or see you. She doesn't speak, either." Tommy leaned against the wall, waiting for May to tire of staring at the girl in fascination or pity-most new people picked one of the two when gawking at the child. May stood, brushing off her dress. She reminded herself despite the interest in this child, she was here for work, and to talk horses-although the two were interchangeable for her. She reached to give the girl a pat on the head, but Lily grunted and jerked away, uninterested in this random woman. Esme laughed, but stopped abruptly when Tommy and May turned to look at her, as if to question what was so funny. "Sorry, Thomas." She muttered, turning back to her work. Tommy moved on, showing the woman around, before setting off for the stables. 

The day was ending-rain pattered outside the flat, and candles were lit above a crackling fire inside the Shelby home. Polly and Tom were discussing Michael taking a job at Tommy's office-something Polly was strictly against. Tommy shrugged her off, fine with another boy taking the job anyway-much better qualified, he said. But as conversation continued, Tommy revealed he would like Michael to take the job, and that there was no other candidate-he was smart that way-he knew his way around a conversation, how to make you want what he wanted. Lily lay curled up by the fire, hair mussed around her face as she slept, breathing quietly. The nurse maid was on her way in to watch the girl sleep, make sure she was safe while Polly and Tom went out for the night. To the Garrison they were going. It was Michaels birthday. 

The next morning, Tommy threw down the newspaper, pouring himself some liquor. Polly, John, and Arthur filed into the flat, a chill coming in the door as they entered. Lily sat up when she felt footsteps, standing in a rush and signing for her aunt, hoping that she would find her here today. She made a string of happy noises when Polly embraced her, kissing her cheeks. Lily pulled her aunt along, sitting on the floor and eagerly showing her aunt the flowers she had brought in from Uncle Charlie's yard. Tommy poured drinks for everyone, sharing plans of business expansion and news. Lily had moved to the table, dropping flower petals into Tommy's glass, swirling her fingers in the liquid and sucking it off. Her face soured, and she knocked the glass off the table with fierce determination, as if an act of revenge on the unfavorable drink. Tommy's eyes flicked down to see the mess, the glass shattering and liquor soaking the floor. Polly flinched at the sudden noise, surveying the scene. John chewed his toothpick silently, and Arthur sighed. "John. Grab your sister-she'll cut herself on the glass. Up you get!" Polly hollered from the table, raising her glass at John. 

John scoffed, but set his own glass down and squatting down to his sisters level, grabbing her wrists gently and pulling her away from the table, and the mess on the floor. She opened her mouth, ready to protest and scream, but Arthur stood, fishing out a candy from his pocket for her, popping a butterscotch past her lips, quieting her. Tommy stepped over the mess, glass crunching under his shiny polished boots. "Where the fuck is the maid?" He said coldly. 

It's safe to say, Tommy fired the nurse maid. The next few days consisted of back and forth banter and meetings in churches with Campbell-Lily was watched by Uncle Charlie and Curly down at the yard-for they loved the girl-she was family. She followed Curly on his rounds, helping to hold grain out for the horses to feed, giggling when they bumped her open palms with their noses. Her boots were covered in mud today-and Polly (who had been staying at the flat for a few days) had made sure to dress the girl in one of her shorter dresses. Her tights bore holes and were streaked with dirt, but the horses didn't mind-and neither did Charlie or Curly.

 Curly meant candy and horses-he was always giving Lily the peppermints he carried for the horses. Charlie watched as the Shelby child licked her candy slicked fingers, unlaced boots a mess around her dirty stockings. "That's enough candy, Curly. Tommy won't want her dinner spoiled." The girls uncle reprimanded his stable hand. "Okay, okay, sorry Charlie. She loves candy like the horses, she does." Curly grinned, nodding his head the way he did. Lily crouched to the ground, running her fingers through the wet gravel, head tilted to the sky. Charlie turned when he noticed Tommy coming up the lane, Peaky Cap settled on his head. He waved to his nephew. "How was the little heathen?" Tommy pulled his pack of smokes from his jacket pocket. "Fine, Tommy, fine." Charlie reached for one of Tommy's smokes. "She played with the horses, and fed them with Curly. I know Curly loves the help." Charlie pointed to the man and girl, who were now petting a strawberry roan horse. "She's more horse than human." Tommy said, inhaling cigarette smoke. "That's what they say about you, Tommy." Charlie laughed, clapping Tommy's back. "That they do." Tommy coughed. That they do. 

*authors note: Love the parallels between Tommy and Lily both being compared to horses, and both loving horses. They are so different, yet alike in some ways.