22.

tw: child abuse

Lily stamped her foot impatiently, alone in her room. The sun shone on her face, warming her and letting her know it was morning. She stood, only in her fine lace undergarments that Polly had bought her now that she was getting older and becoming a young woman. Now that she ate at her place at the table and didn't muss about in dirt and slop her food when she dined, she dressed in finer clothes bought by Ada and Polly. She like shopping-the fabrics felt nice in her hands and the scents of women's perfumes made her nose tickle with delight. She still had trouble dressing at times, but she wanted to be able to do it alone, without a maid to help. By the time she dressed and came downstairs, Lizzie was there and ready to take her to the betting shop, where Polly, Esme, and Linda would be also while the men met in the woods to discuss something important in a letter regarding their father. 

Lily sat at a table in the betting shop, helping to count and organize coins. Linda arrived, bringing along lemonade and a basket with something that smelled delicious in it. Lily stood, finding her way to Linda and throwing her arms around the woman's waist in a tight hug. Linda stroked the girl's hair, giving her a spritz of perfume. Lily raised her hands, catching the misty scent in the air and sniffing wildly. Linda began to speak to the other women in the shop, telling them of a women's rights walk at the bull ring-which is how Lily ended up following along on a stride to the bull ring with the other Shelby women, for reasons she didn't really understand. Lizzie had spelled that it was to ask for a way to make life better for the women-and that seemed good enough reason to tag along to Lily. Besides-what else would she do? She was finally able to be included, in the loop about what was going on and why. Before, she would have dumped along with a maid or tagged along without knowing what was going on, not really. 

Tommy was in his office, not to be disturbed. He was dealing with enemies, and he was going to bring in men to watch the house and keep an eye on the children. Lily and Charles had been threatened by the unholy priest with sinful desires. 

And so, when Lily watered the flowers in the garden, or pet the horses in the stables, or tried to teach Charlie cards with her special braille set, there were nurse maids, or guards at all times. 

Tommy had been hospitalized-he came home with medicines, so many of them. At night, he would smoke his pipe. Lily knew because she could smell the sweet smell on his nightclothes when he spelled 'goodnight' into her palm. The drugs made him more sentimental. Spoonfuls of Morphine helped his pain stay away. But eventually-he poured it down the drain-for it made things too fuzzy. And as always, he had business. 

Lily spooned eggs neatly into her mouth, sitting next to Tommy at the table. A clear glass of water and a plate of fine China with toast lay in front of her. Tommy smoked, asking after his son, before telling the Maid to fetch Johnny Dogs. After breakfast, Tomy sat outdoors, while Lily climbed the tree behind him. She tried not to rip her stockings, as she clutched at branches and went higher. The wind blew her hair, mussing up the ribbons the maid had braided into her curls. 

There was a visitor. It was none other than Alfie fucking Solomons. He stared, out the window, at the girl in the tree. "Now that is a wild sight. I missed that little oddity of a child. I hear she can communicate now, spelling into fingers and shit. That's what your maid told me, anyway." He readjusted his gold jewelry as he spoke. "Yes. It's true. And she eats at the table and keeps herself neat and tidy. It is truly remarkable." Tommy coughed, sounding uninterested. "Now, what brings you here, Alfie?" He continued, straight to the important things. 

Lily was upstairs now, playing with her spinning tops and reading her braille storybooks. Her favorite book that she had read so far was 'Alice's Underground Adventures'. She admired how Alice went off into a whole new world and made friends with the Mad Hatter. An idea popped into her head, and she clattered downstairs, careful not to trip over the skirts of her long dress. She found the maid, pulling her arm and handing her the book. The maid shook her head in confusion, until Lily spelled 'tea party' into her palm, and cupped her hands together in a 'please' motion. Lily wanted to have a tea party.