12.

Two years had passed. Inspector Campbell was gone-Ada had Freddie's child, and Billy Kimber had been shot dead in a gang fight, by none other than Tomy Shelby. Things were changing. But, despite the feat of sitting at the table and feeding herself with a spoon, Lily Shelby was still a whirlwind of callous behavior. She may sit in front of her plate and use cutlery to eat with, but she would still fight tooth in nail to get dressed, have her hair brushed or step foot in the washbasin tub. But now Grace was gone, too-having been banished by the Shelby family. She had been working with Inspector Campbell-and Tommy had felt as if his cold heart had shattered when he found out. The progress made with Lily had been little, but alas she still regressed-going back to eating from everyones plates like a zoo animal. The whole family felt Grace's noticeable absence, and they felt all hope for Lily to be gone. 

Even now, as Lily sat at the cemetery-now two years after inspector Campbell left Small Heath Birmingham and Grace fled as well-the child was looked at with pity. "The Shelby child. Twelve years old and still so small and frail. Weak yet wild" the residents of Small Heath would say as they put up their linens on the clothesline to dry. The wind whipped fast, turning Lily's pale cheeks pink-her fingers felt frozen, as she sifted through the loose top soil of dirt as she sat by a grave. She had refused to wear gloves, of course. Ada cradled her son close, and it was quiet, all except for Tommy's thick voice, solemn as he gave a speech for his dear departed friend. Freddy Thorne was dead. John's baby with Esme began to babble, and Arthur mumbled an 'amen' when Tommy spoke of the war, and fighting for the king. 

After the funeral, Tommy paced the graveyard with Ada, spilling his wishes for her to come back home. "We thought now Freddy's gone, you might come back to Birmingham. Lily misses you." Tommy spoke, causing Ada to scoff. She began to taunt Tommy for all his riches, while half the country was starving. "So now they've made you ashamed of us." Tommy said simply, blowing smoke from out his mouth. Ada ignored him and continued. "As for Lily, she's better off without another woman fussing over her." She stated, glancing over to Polly who walked over slowly. "Karl was trying to pinch flowers off a grave. Lily felt what he was doing with her hands and started to do the same." She laughed, as light as could possibly be done at a funeral without it being rude. "I'm going home." Ada decided firmly when her aunt asked if she were coming home. "it's alright, Poll. We make Ada embarrassed. With our riches and a child who runs amok at age twelve." He said, looking over his aunts head to spare a glance at Lily, still sitting in the dirt with her stockings covered in mud from the sprinkling of rain that had begun to fall, mixing with grave dirt. Ada stalked away to get her son, and Tommy headed for his youngest sister, gripping her wrist and leading her towards the car. Since Ada had been gone, and Grace wasn't around to help out, he had a bit more of a hand dealing directly with his sister-to both of their dismay. He had business, and the child would much rather be left alone to play then to be led around and watched by Tommy. But, she was less resistant than before, at least most of the time. Like now, for instance, as she let Tommy lead her to the car and help her up-but not before she opened her mouth to the sky and tasted the cold raindrops on her tongue. She squealed in delight and raised her hands, which were dripping with water by the time Tommy got her in her seat, held steady in place by Polly. before the car ride had ended, Lily had crawled into her aunts lap, and was playing with the black lace on Polly's hat. 

The Pub had been destroyed-a bomb. Lily sat in the betting shop, where she allowed at times now-due to Ada and Grace being gone, they needed eyes on her-and when Polly was busy, the Blinders and Betters were able to keep watch on her. she sat now, kicking her legs back and forth with silent glee as she played with some spare coins that John had given her. They would never say it, but sometimes-just sometimes-they were envious of Lily's blissful ignorance. The smallest things could cause a fit, yes, but also the smallest things could make her happy. She didn't know that Arthur had gotten angrier, that Ada truly was ashamed of the family, that Polly had gotten more bitter, Finn was growing older, John had more on his plate. That Tommy was planning on expansion-more business, more money, more murder. She just simply...existed. She was glad to be rid of that annoying woman who pestered her with hand signs and who had made her sit at the table and eat. She hadn't understood it, and it had greatly irked her when the woman would come into her home. Now, for the most part, Lily Shelby could do as she pleased again, playing in the streets and petting the horses, eating cake before dinner and stay up late for tea. 

A family meeting was set to begin-they were just waiting on Tommy. Polly stood by the window, watching for him, and Esme sat on the stairs. The men sat at the table, and Lily sat criss-cross applesauce with a ball of yarn that she was unraveling, and twisting around her fingers. John began to propose that they shouldn't expand, and just when Esme began to speak, Tommy arrived, lighting a cigarette and glancing down his nose to where his sister sat playing with yarn by his shiny, booted feet. Then so the meeting continued, with Lily standing halfway through to find her aunt and search her pockets for treats. She was handed a butterscotch candy, which she eagerly grabbed before throwing out her hands and finding her way back to her spot on the floor, shoving away Tommy's hand when he tried to help her settle down and find her yarn. She always wanted to try and do things herself first. Tommy pursed his lips, clearing his throat in slight irritation, before continuing on with his business proposal. 

 "All I poured away was opium and bromide." Tommy poured himself some whiskey as Polly followed him around his polished office, lights down low. She had dragged Lily with her, and the child was grumpily laying on the floor, crumpled dress and unlaced boots. She was quite the disheveled sight-it was time for dinner and a bath. But Polly was fast and angry tonight, with the news that she had received after she had visited a medium to find information about her lost children. Tonight, even aunt Pol didn't have Lily's best interest in sight-she was blundered by emotion, which was quite rare for her. Polly followed him, feet pounding against the wood flooring as she met him across from his desk. "Stop fucking fighting me!" Tommy raised his voice, putting a hand up to his aunt as he glared down at the papers on his desk. "Somebody has to!" His aunt continued. "Well done, Tommy." She handed him a slip of paper. "Now you're at war with Sabini." She scolded, grabbing Lily up from the floor and leading her out the door for home, leaving an angry Tommy to seethe quietly until his fiery rage turned to ice, which is when he did his best thinking, when his mind quieted. When he exited his office, though, nothing could prepare him for the men who attacked him, as Sabini and his men shoved him to the ground, shoving a blade in his mouth. 

*authors note: Season 2 starting off with a bang! Tommy's got a lot going on, Lily has lost the little progress she made with Grace since the barmaid turned teacher to Lily is long gone. She still sits and eats with cutlery at her own place, but other than that she hasn't really changed.