M-Medusa?

Macie stared into the darkness. The trees had no leaves on them. They smelled of death and decomposition. The wind was sharp and cold like a blade. She felt the shadows creeping around her, trying to hold her bond to the place.

Macie stepped back to take a breath. "Are you sure he's in there?" She asked turning back to Hailey. Hailey nodded viciously. "Yes. You must help him." Hailey pleaded while begging on her knees. Macie gulped and looked back at the forest. "I know you're scared Macie, but I can't go in there. They'll take my powers away." Macie remembered Sammy telling her how the children have unique abilities. If the shadows in the dark lands were that powerful, then she really is afraid. "Can't you like, call someone. Your parents?"

"Are you kidding!? I got a reputation on the line here." Hailey replied crossing her arms. Macie rolled her eyes. "Right. The parents never know."

Both girls heard a scream. "It's James!" Hailey shouted as Macie gulped again. "Alright, I'm going in. On one condition....you're coming with me."

"WHY!?"

"Because I don't know these...things. I need a guide." Macie said. It was true. She didn't wanna send Hailey into the lands, but she needed someone to help her find James. Hailey sighed. "I suppose you're right."

"Don't worry Macie. I promise I'll protect you." Macie smiled at her making Hailey smile back. "I know. That's why I trust you." Hailey held onto Macie's hand and inhaled. "Alright. Let's go get Jaime back."

———————

As the two girls walked into the dark lands, the shadows began to laugh maniacal. They would touch them somewhere they didn't like to be touch. Or blow a strong cold wind to make them run away. But none of the tricks worked. The girls kept moving forward.

Hailey shivered in Macie's hold. "I-I-I h-hope w-w-we find J-J-Jamie soon." Hailey managed to say as Macie shivered as well. "M-M-Me too." The same scream from earlier caught there attention. "Jamie!" Hailey shouted. The scream turned into a cry. "Hailey?!"

Instantly, Hailey rushed over to the sound forgetting all about Macie. "Hailey, wait!" Macie ran after her trying desperately to keep up with the 7 year old.

Once Macie stopped, she saw Hailey frozen stiff. But she wasn't just frozen. She was turned to stone. "HAILEY!" Macie quickly rushed over to the 7 year old statue and saw a terrified look on her face. "No no no! Hailey come back! Please!"

"So the rumors were true." Now, it was Macie's turn to freeze. The voice belonged to a middle aged female. "You must be the human RAT you entered my lands." Macie flinched when she said 'rat'.

Macie's plan was to turn around to see who it was, but a reflection in a near by puddle told her otherwise. The woman appeared to be wearing a long drench dress with dirty vine gloves. And her hair. Oh my god her hair! It had snakes! "M-Medusa?"

"Oh you know my name. It almost makes me wanna spare your life."