Pt. 1 - Chapter 5 - Hill Top Camp

After the days ride they set up camp on a rocky hill top with a small fire that was lit, despite Anariel's protests not to do so... thank-you Thorin. She was wondering if something had to go drastically wrong for him to actually start listening to her. She sat with Kili and Fili while the others were huddled in their family groups, chatting away. Bifur, Bofur and Bumbur and then Oin and Gloin and then Dori, Nori and Ori and then Balin and Dwalin. Thorin sat by himself and Gandalf as well.

Anariel was looking into the fire, her left hand playing with the necklace around her neck. She was lost somewhere long ago in thought. She could see the shapes in the flame as it danced and licked across the air. No one else could, but she saw them clear as day. Nothing particularly significant, but precious to her all the same. Her father teaching her to dance with her feet on his own as he stepped back and forth to a beat she could not hear through the flame.

"You know even if you cover your ears, if someone sees that jewel they'll know you're an elf immediately." Fili stated, noticing the necklace probably for the first time as she kept it concealed most of the time. Anariel was snapped instantly out of her daydream, the vision disappearing into an ordinary flame.

"I know, but I'll take the chance."  She replied softly. Fili looked at her, not really understanding and for some reason, unknown to her, she chose to tell him why. "There is only one other necklace like it. They were made for my parents on their wedding day, millenniums past as a symbol of eternal love. When my elder sister married Lord Elrond of Rivendell my mother gave Celebrian her necklace. When Celebrain decided to leave for the undying lands she gave it to her daughter Arwen, my niece. My father gave me his about 100 years ago."

Fili waited a moment, studying her before asking his next question. "Who did you marry?"

"Me? No-one." She answered with a small chuckle and a shake of her head. "I was engaged, but it was arranged and I'd never met him. So on the night before my fiancé and his father came to Lothlorien for formal introductions I snuck out my bedroom window and disappeared for 3 years... aside from the odd letter to my parents to let them know I was okay." Fili laughed. "My father gave me the necklace when I returned home. The marriage was my mother's idea, not his and he said he was rather proud of me although I wasn't allowed to tell my mother that."

"Have you met him since then? Your fiancé?"

I shook my head, "No. I tend to avoid it. He's ventured to Lothlorien once after with his father and I wasn't there. I have met his father though, twice. Once shortly after I was born, so I don't really remember and the other time when I was barely fifteen so I doubt he'd recognise me if I saw him again. At fifteen years old elves look about five." She explained, not sure if it was necessary or not, but he didn't complain.

"Who is he?" Fili finally asked.

She was hesitant about answering and threw a wary gaze to where Thorin sat, clearly in hearing distance, but answered nonetheless. "Prince Legolas of the Woodlen realm, son of King Thranduil." She could feel Thorin glaring at her, but when she turned to face him she was surprised to see he was smiling, well smiling as much as Thorin Oakenshield could. "What?" She asked.

"Nothing." He said while shaking his head.

Anariel leaned over to Fili and whispered, "Did I just make progress?"

"Possibly. I'd say the thought of you sneaking out your bedroom window and humiliating King Thranduil would be amusing to him, yes." Fili whispered back.

Anariel smiled back at him just as there was a loud screech. "What was that?" Bilbo asked, slightly panicked as he walked closer to us.

"Orcs." Kili said.