Pt. 1 - Chapter 1 - Greetings and Farewells

"Anariel!" Haldir's voice welcomed the young she-elf as she walked through the gates of her home. He was captain of the guard in Lothlorien and one of her eldest friends. "I was beginning to worry, my lady. You have been gone for nearly 7 years. Adventurous you may be, Ana, but you always send word." Haldir stated as he brought her in for a welcoming embrace, his tall figure looming over her. 

Anariel was shorter than most she-elves, the height of an average female human in fact. The cause of this wasn't quite known. She was young as far as elven lifespans went and some speculated she just had a little more growing to do, but she was past those years in truth... well past. Some argued it was her gifts. Strong magic, like her mother's, coursed through her veins... perhaps it had stunted her growth. This was equally ludicrous and a desperate attempt to grasp for answers as all who knew a little about magic knew that it was more likely to cause you to grow than shrink. The truth was as simple as the truth often is... she was just short.

"I am sorry, but I got caught up. In any case, I'm sure my mother would have known if anything was wrong." Came her reply. There was a certain grace that was lacking in her voice when compared to her friend's. It would not take long for her to readjust, of course, but she had not spoken her mother tongue for... well, longer than she would care to admit, and the language of mankind was a lot harsher. It showed.

"Speaking of whom, the guards posted in the forest sent word of your arrival. Your parents asked me to bring you straight to them." Haldir explained.

"If you'll tell me where I might find them I shall go myself, no need to trouble you." She replied politely. The idea of needing an escort to see her parents in her own homeland was a level she hoped she hadn't stooped to in her time away.

"As you wish. They are in the main greeting hall. I trust you remember the way?" He asked in a subtle teasing tone.

"I think I can manage." She smiled back lightly before taking her leave.

It was a long walk up the flights of stairs that wound their way around the thick tree trunks of Lothlorien. On each level the stairs and the ground branched out leading to the homes of her people. As she climbed elves below and above her stopped and looked... and stared. Her arrival, it would appear, was not well known. She said nothing and kept her head held high as she walked. Her smile was polite and kind and she nodded to those she passed or offered a kind word, but she did not stop.

As she reached the archway that opened up into the long hallway that extended between two magnificent trees, she stopped and took a moment to take in a deep breath. One step after the other she continued to move, her steps echoing across the walls until she reached the door at the end. With a gentle push it swung on its hinges moving as if the wind had gently guided it open. Across the hall her parents stood, face to face in conversation atop the five steps that led up to their thrones.

The Lady Galadriel and the Lord Celeborn turned in equal grace to face their daughter, their long elegant gowns only adding to their regal beauty. Anariel stood in a moderately armoured dress with a bow in her hands and arrows on her back in accompaniment of two daggers, or short swords, for either of her hands that criss crossed over her spine. As she looked between them and herself, even she struggled to find any resemblance. It would be different once she was washed and dressed in her formal gowns and dresses with her hair done neatly. It had been a long ride and even elves could start to look a little rugged after a while.

"Anariel, iellig." Her father said with fondness over the words 'my daughter', as he approached with outstretched hands. "It has been too long."

"Ada." She smiled up at him, taking his hands in her own and leaving a kiss on either one of his cheeks.

"Much too long." Galadriel added in a disapproving tone, but once her daughter walked up to her that tone vanished and was replaced by a thankful smile. "I'm glad to see you. Ten years is a long time to be apart from ones child. Even for an elf." She added on the end. Especially for an elf is what she really meant. It was a curse, their immortality in truth. One got used to having people around, imagine that for a thousand years only to have the other taken. Anariel's presence had helped her parents through the departure of her sister to Valinor and without her presence her absence was felt strongly. "Although I'm afraid we will not be blessed by your company for much longer."