Pt. 1 - Chapter 21 - Attack on Lake Town

LAKE TOWN

Bard, the bargemen the dwarves now knew the name of, had promised them weapons. What he gave was less then they had hoped for. They had waited for him to be distracted before sneaking out to attempt a robbery from the armoury... it had failed. The dwarves had been in Lake Town not even a night and they were discovered, captured and taken to the master. As they were ushered towards the town centre Bilbo could near perfectly imagine both Anariel's and Gandalf's chastisements for their foolishness.

"What is the meaning of this?" The master bellowed as he came storming out of his mansion; which, although bigger, really wasn't any more impressive then the rest of the buildings in the fishing village.

"We caught them stealing weapons, sire." His lacky named Alfred explained.

"Ah. Enemies of the state, aye?"

"A desperate bunch of mercenaries if ever there was, sire." Alfred urged. He always found enjoyment in punishments. Not because he was necessarily a cruel person but because it made him feel important.

"Hold your tongue!" Dwalin ordered, snapping at the humans. "You do not know to whom you speak. This is no common criminal. This is Thorin, son of Thrain, son of Thror."

"We are the dwarves of Erebor." Thorin stepped forward. "We have come to reclaim out home land."

With a promise of gold the master was won over, but much to Bard's disapproval who feared the dragon in the mountain. They were fitted with weapons and armour, given a mighty feast and all the mead they could want. By daybreak they would continue in a boat, crossing the lake and arriving home.

Only not all would make the trip. Four would stay behind.

"You do know we're one short. Where's Bofur?" Bilbo was saying as he walked along side Thorin. Crowds had gathered to see them off, cheering as they went.

"If he's not here we leave him behind." Thorin said. Bofur was of course asleep under a table and rather hung over.

"We'll have to." Balin said. "If we're to find the door before nightfall, we can risk no more delays." They had but one night left. They had to go. They had to arrive at the mountain and climb it if they were to succeed in their quest.

But Bofur was not the only one to remain behind. Thorin reached out and grabbed Kili by the shoulder. His skin was sickly grey, his eyes black with sickness as he limped towards the boat. His leg had only gotten worse and he had been doing his best to hide it but there was no fooling anyone now.

"Not you." Thorin said before the younger of his two nephews could step into the boat. "We must travel at speed. You will slow us down."

"What are you talking about? I'm coming with you." Kili said, thinking for a moment that he must be joking... surely.

"Not now." Thorin shook his head.

"I'm going to be there when that door is opened. When we first look upon the halls of our fathers, Thorin."

"Kili, stay here. Rest. Join us when you're healed."

"I'll stay with the lad." Oin offered. "My duty lies with the wounded." The dwarf stepped out of the boat with his packs and moved towards Kili who looked down trodden and beaten. Fili moved to speak with his uncle in his brother's defence.

"Uncle. We grew up on tales of the mountain. Tales you told us. You cannot take that away from him."

"Fili." Thorin tried but didn't get far.

"I will carry him if I must." Fili cut in.

"One day you will be king and you will understand. I cannot risk the fate of this quest for the sake of one Dwarf. Not even my own kin." Fili stared a moment and then went to move past him as Thorin grabbed his shoulder. "Fili, don't be a fool. You belong with he company."