up on the roof

"Up on the roof with a school girl crush" ----- King of My Heart, Taylor Swift

*/written in second person POV

*/kinda sad I'm sorry :/

There was nothing more therapeutic than hanging out alone up on the roof, laying under the stars, sipping intoxicating drinks from bottles or cans to numb yourself, reminiscing about the past, clueless about the future. It was your secret spot, a hideaway to run away from responsibilities, a place to uncover your true self. Three months of dating a celebrity was a commitment you were not prepared for. The mental stress, the public eyes, the paparazzi's flashing light - it was a journey to the underworld, but with the love of your life so everything was sugar-coated until you had had enough of the invasion of privacy. You swore to yourself that it was the best decision to leave your ex. It was better for her career, for her reputation, and better for your mind, your heart. Even though in your mind you understood this was what should be done, you still could not walk out of the darkness, the emptiness, the loneliness without her. You hated that she had inserted a beating heart into your chest and now it ached because she took half of it away again. Your thoughts automatically floated to the best three months of your life whenever you closed your eyes. You were afraid to fall asleep because she would enter your dream. You did not want to admit it, but it did hurt.

A single droplet of tear rolled down your cheeks as you watched the star blinked at you, mind wandered to the memories she created with you for the thousandth time today. You wiped it off roughly with your hands. You thought you could get over her muse and found someone new, someone that was in your league but turned out, she had tattooed herself in your mind. A long sigh escaped your mouth. Though you promised yourself to not be such a depressive idiot after a breakup, you broke it hours after you initiated the breakup.

Out of the blue, you heard footsteps approaching. It was strange because you were on the roof of an abandoned building. Nobody knew this place except you and your ex-girlfriend. You gathered yourself up and became more alert to the surroundings as you were afraid that the intruder was a criminal. You turned around with your fists clenched, ready for hand-to-hand combat.

The face you saw after turning around was a bolt from the blue. The tight fists relax themselves after sensing there was no danger around. All of the sudden, words could not be formed from your mouth as the flawless face appeared in your view again. How many times you had denied that you missed that face you used to see every day in your life, and how many times you had failed. That face crumbled the walls around your castle, leaving you vulnerable and helpless. That was the face you called home, but now it was the face you called pain.

"Scarlett? What are you doing here?" You asked the person who was as shocked as you were when she saw you here after putting together the debris of your mind.

"I- I- Never mind. Did I interrupt you? I think I should go now," she replied nervously. She turned around and walked swiftly towards the staircase. You could sense that she was acting weird, and you reckoned that this would be the last chance that you two could be together.

"Hey! Scar!" You shouted her name, hoping she would stop. And yes, she did. So you continued, "stay."

She was hesitating. She needed a little help to make up her mind, so you ran towards her and grabbed her hand. You dragged her to where you were sitting. You remembered how mesmerized she was by the scenery from the rooftop when you first brought her here, and the rest was history. She sat down at her usual spot as you took a bottle of beer from the floor and opened the cap with another cap - a handy trick you learned from her.

"Here you go. Your favorite," you winked at her while handing the bottle to her.

"Thanks," she whispered as she took the bottle and began to chug on it. You sat down on the floor with your knees tucked into your chest and looked at her drinking the beer in huge gulps. Both of you burst into laughter as you caught each other peeking at one another. It was not a loud laugh, but hearty enough to make you feel warm. Awkward silence was what came next, and it made both of you extremely uncomfortable. You two used to have so much to talk about, but now none of you knew how to initiate a conversation with each other's existence in the same environment. Telling her how much you miss her? No, that was the worst way. Asking her how her life had been? Maybe, but her life was written all over the papers. Gladly, you remembered she had not answered the first question you asked just now.