1. Searching Souls

Searching Souls

Mystic Falls, Virginia 2009

Caroline Forbes slowed the car down in front of the house, her house she had to remind herself, letting out a small sigh. The house wasn't particularly big, but she quite liked it. It was quaint and white and a place that could be called home.

She wasn't sure what she was doing here anymore. It had all been so clear to her when she had first made the plan, when it this idea first occurred to her. And now, here she was, but nothing was clear.

Nothing.

Paris, France 1560

Caroline woke up slowly, her eyes flickering a little as awareness came back to her and, when they finally opened, she was surprised to be in an unfamiliar room. Trying to clear her mind, she sat up slowly. Her head was pulsing in an awful way; it was as if someone had placed many hard objects in Caroline's skull and then shook it about until their arms had began to ache. The brightness around her burned her eyes. Even the wavering candlelight was almost too much for her head.

Taking a calming breath, Caroline scanned around the room, trying not to panic at waking up in a place she did not know. She tried to find something that was remotely familiar to her.

There was nothing

Where am I? The question kept popping up in her aching head as she tried to find the answer.

How did I get here?

She tried remembering how she had gotten to where she was but as she looked back there was only a blur. Confused, she tried to remember something, anything, about the days previous only to get the same result. Panicking, she tried to look back even further.

Her head began ringing and there was still not a single memory that she could recognize. She couldn't remember. She couldn't remember yesterday, or the day before, months ago... years ago. She couldn't remember a single thing. No memory. Nothing. Now was the time to panic.

W-What is this?

Caroline knew this was not natural. She knew that this should not be happening to any normal person. People had memories! They had lives and other people! So, why…? She didn't understand. What was going on?

She took a moment to calm herself. Alright Caroline, think about what you know, not what you don't. Caroline paused a moment to take a shuddering breath, trying to get her head to pulse less. When she was done with that, she focused on the task at hand.

She knew her own name, that much clear. Her name was Caroline Forbes, but who was she? As she thought on it, bordering on panic once more, she began to become aware of a burning in her throat and, for an unknown reason, she knew water would not be enough to quench it.

Knowing she should probably not waste anymore time trying to find some answers only to end up in another fit of panic, Caroline stood up from the bed, heading towards the door. She needed to get out of this strange place. Maybe if she went somewhere familiar, it would bring memories to her. Besides, she wasn't even sure what she was doing here... What if someone had taken her and planned to do despicable things to her?

Well, that was not going to happen, that much Caroline would make damn sure of.

Just as she was about to leave, the very same door she was headed to cracked open and a young brunette girl walked in, a worried look on her face. Caroline didn't even realize what she did next, reacting purely on instinct. She ran to the girl fast, blurring, and held her to a wall. It would only occur to her later just why and how she had such speed.