13. Tick Tock

Tick Tock

Mystic Falls, Virginia 2010

"What-What do you mean?" She asked, already dreading what she knew the answer was going to be.

"Mikael's already free. And he is headed straight here."

Caroline knew there was a key point that Stefan left out of that statement.

Mikael was headed to Mystic Falls for Klaus.

Well, Caroline thought even as she panicked inside, I will just have to make sure to keep him away from Mystic Falls. For his sake and mine.

"Please tell me this is a really cruel joke." Caroline stated, though she knew that it wasn't.

"Nope." Damon confirmed, shrugging slightly.

"Damn it." She whispered to herself, her mind flashing back to her one and only meeting with Mikael. Everything she had said about him was true; he was not to be trifled with and he would stop at nothing to kill his 'son'. "Why the Hell didn't you tell me before?"

"Well, gee, Blondie, maybe it has something to do with the big bombshell you just dropped on us…" Damon muttered sarcastically. Immediately, the blonde vampire felt guilt rise up in her; it wasn't their fault, not really, she shouldn't have snapped like.

"I'm sorry." She sighed, leaning her head in her hands.

"Look, Care, I really don't know what to think about all of this." Elena put in, her voice and eyes conveying sincerity. "I am definitely not a Klaus fan, not after all he's done… But I get the feeling there's more to the story."

Oh, you have no idea.

For a moment Caroline thought about just leaving, getting the heck away from Mystic Falls before Mikael got there, her fear of him overpowering. But she was not some scared kid, and she wouldn't abandon her… friends, so she shoved the thought out of her mind. Instead she tried to calm herself by focusing on Elena's question. Though Caroline wanted nothing more than begin planning for Mikael's arrival, she knew that her friends deserved to know the rest of her story first.

"Soon after I turned…" She said, beginning from where she ended. "…the family decided to move away from the London estate. They sold it and we moved south. The siblings decided it was best to split up for a while, with Mikael having come so close to killing them. I mean, it was only luck that got Klaus out of there alive." Klaus had told her the full story once, in their fifth year living in their own house. She still remembered the far off look he had had, the way his arm had tightened around her, pulling her even closer to him as if to reassure himself that he was really there. She smiled slightly at the memory.

"Mikael was outnumbered. Apparently Klaus' screams when he saw me die were pretty loud." Here voice was monotonous, like she was talking about everyday things, not about one of the worst things that had ever happened to her. "Rebekah, 'Lijah and Kol had been there at the time, and for once they weren't all arguing so much, so they came in and helped their brother."

"I don't know what else happened while I was… dead, like some of you probably know…" She turned her eyes to the Salvatores, who were both watching her warily. She knew they wouldn't like the news, she just hoped they would remember that she wasn't the enemy; she had been their friend for longer than anyone else, she at least deserved the benefit of the doubt. "…but waking up was a bitch. Like I said, at first I didn't want to turn; I mean I almost attacked my brother and I didn't have fangs yet! I didn't want to become a monster."