8. The Restless

The Restless

Mystic Falls, Virginia 2010

When Caroline woke up, it seemed like any other day. She was lying in her bed at home, snug under the covers. Everything seemed all right… It was only a moment later, however, when the past day's events came back to her.

She immediately shot up in her bed, her hands flying to her neck, where she knew a different pair of hands had been.

"I'm sorry."

Klaus. She knew Klaus. Oh Lord, she knew Klaus. How-? When-? Caroline was vaguely aware that she was driving herself into a panic. Is this what she had been searching for all those years?

How could this be?

But then, she supposed she should have seen it sooner. All the signs were there, Katherine's little comments, the vague flashes. Why didn't she see it before?

Caroline knew Klaus. She knew that now. But, what did it mean?

He knew me. He knew my name. And the way he looked at me… like he saw a ghost.

He had snapped her neck. This she also knew. But why? Why would he not just kill her? Why did he do any of it? Why had he asked her that stupid question about knowing him in the first place? Why had he confirmed that he knew her? Why had he snapped her neck?

But, most of all, why had he said sorry? Klaus, from what she heard of him, was unremorseful. Evil. So why would he be sorry? Why would he be sorry and tell her of all people?

Caroline begun to get the feeling that she had more then just known him. Were we friends?

There was also one other major thing that kept running through her head.

What did it all mean?

Why can't I remember? Hasn't more than four hundred years of not knowing been enough? Don't I deserve to know? I can't keep living like this. I need to know.

She knew Klaus.

Klaus.

Klaus, the vampire, the Original, who had been hunting for her best friend all of his long life. Klaus, who was more than 1,000 bloody years old. Klaus, who killed and slaughtered and took life without a second thought. Klaus, the enemy.

Klaus, the one who had looked at her with those blue, blue eyes of his filled with something that Caroline denied.

Klaus, who had snapped her neck, right after doing the same to her friend.

Suddenly, it occurred to Caroline that she had not been the only one to see the man. Damon… She stood abruptly, her heart quickening in panic. He was bitten! A werewolf bit him!

Is he okay? Is he still alive? Caroline and Damon had had their rough moments, but she still considered him to be one of her friends, and she was short on those these days. He can't be dead, can he? After he all and his brother have been through…

And what about Elena? The sacrifice was going to happen and I've been out of commission all this time… Tears suddenly rose to her eyes. Is Elena dead too? Could I have helped her? Saved her?

No… no… I can't lose her too. She was the first human to ever accept me. Elena is too good to die.

Caroline found herself using her vampiric speed to travel through her house, to the front door.

I need to find out what happened… I need to be there for Stefan if they both really did… She gulped.

I can't think about Klaus now. I can't be that selfish.