4. Fighting Phantoms

Fighting Phantoms

Kiev, Ukraine 1708

A knock came at Klaus' door and he called out his admittance, his Ukrainian flawless, just like every other language he knew; he had always had a knack for them. In walked the girl he had earlier beckoned, a pleased blush gracing her cheeks, making her hair seem even more red than it already was; an exotic color, to be sure. It must be such a thrill to her, he realized, being called upon by a lord. Little did she know...

"My Lord Niklaus" She curtsied clumsily, clearly unpracticed in the proper etiquette. He lifted two fingers to call her closer.

"I am glad you decided to join me after all, love." He said, watching her closely as she stood before him, fidgeting. She looked nothing like her... good. He suddenly stood, and circled her slowly, examining her.

"M'lord?" The girl questioned, confused and, from the sound of her voice, a little worried.

"You need not preoccupy yourself. I swear to you no, no harm will come to you by the hands of others." Immediately the redhead's shoulders dropped a little, relieved. Simpleton, Klaus thought. Soon he placed himself directly in front of her and she looked up at him with wide eyes. He brought his hand up to caress the hollow of her throat. He did that for a while until she was completely relaxed, causing Klaus to smirk in anticipation. His hand rose a little until it casually squeezed around the girl's throat.

Her eyes widened comically more, frightened. Klaus chuckled, his eyes already darkening with the need for blood. The girl had realization dawning on her features and no small amount of terror appeared there as well. Finally. Klaus loved that moment, the moment his prey realized that he was a predator, a wolf in sheep's clothing.

"B-But, y-you said-?" The girl's struggling question made Klaus bark out a condescending laugh.

"I said no harm would come to you at the hand of others, not by my own." Klaus had enough of toying with her, watching with disgust as tears dripped down her young face.

Snarling, he tore into her throat, moaning as the warm blood filled his mouth.

It went unmentioned that a small part of him cried out at him, trying to desperately stay afloat under all the blood. It went unmentioned that the slaughter momentarily took away his pain of losing her, instead replacing it with a new kind.

It went unmentioned that Klaus no longer knew who he was.

Brugge, Belgium 1839

"What has happened to you, Nik?" Klaus sighed heavily as Rebekah looked at him in bewildered worry, examining his blood-soaked appearance. It had been so long since his younger sister had witnessed a slaughtering of this extent by her brother.

"Why nothing, little sister, I simply had a feast." He replied, his usual smirk on his face. Rebekah's face saddened slightly, watching her shell of a brother with a heavy heart. She was not against killing, as a vampire it would be impossible to be affected by every single death.

But this... This was just cruel and Rebekah, much to the surprise of those who did not really know her, was not a cruel person. Oh, she appeared to be, but even her image had its limits. Limits that Klaus knew well enough.

"Is this... Is that about..?" She trailed off, looking at him with her inquisitive blue eyes.

"No." He immediately replied, not wanting her mentioned. Not now when the pain had finally given him a rest.

"Of course." It was silent for a moment until Rebekah finally rose from her perch on his desk where she had been awaiting his return. Before she made it to the door, she took the opportunity to look at the room around of her. She soon noticed the lack of parchment and sketch materials. Her brother was usually constantly at work with his drawings and right now, she could only see one; one that had been torn in half.