20. When the day comes

When The Day Comes

Mystic Falls, Virginia 2010

The stake drives through Klaus' chest but Caroline could feel it as if it was piercing through her own heart. No, that wasn't right. It felt like her heart was ripped to shreds inside her, burning away, pumping poison through her veins. With a sudden burst of determination unlike anything she has ever felt Caroline pushes Esther back into the recesses of her mind with all her might.

It's a terrible mockery, however, that she should finally gain control now when it was too late. Far too late.

This isn't happening, this can't be happening. No. No. No. NO!

She watches, frozen in horror, as his skin grays. She tries but she can't take her eyes away. She is stuck in terrible observation, wishing that this was nothing more than a dream.

Please, please, please… PLEASE!

Caroline realizes she is looking for movement in his chest, even though she knows she will find none. That tiny observation causes her heart to shatter, crush. The next thing she knows, she has collapsed to her knees, arms wrapped around herself, trying in vain to keep herself together even as her entire world is torn apart.

Vaguely, she realizes there are noises coming from her, horrible noises. Wails full of grief, screams of agony.

No… no… why? Please why? He can't be gone. He can't, he can't. Not Klaus, not my Klaus, my lord, my love, my everything. How is this happening right now? It can't be true.

It. Just. CAN'T!

Please… oh, please.

She's shaking now, trembling with the force of her sobs, slumping forward so is lying against the bed, one hand clawing at the sheets. She can't see him anymore but she knows he is there; he won't ever move again.

Dead. Dead. Dead.

My fault. My fault. Not strong enough, never strong enough.

He's alone now…. All alone.

And then it occurs to her.

There is a way to be with him again.

Like a puppet, in the next moment she finds herself standing, walking toward the table at the end of the room. The following few minutes pass in flashes, like she is barely aware of what she is doing. She sees herself reaching the table, staring down at the dark shining wood. Mechanically, she turns it over and rips off one of its legs. Caroline holds the sharp, splintered wood in her hand, her fingers white around it.

Then she is back next to Klaus, looking down at his gray body.

There is a way to be with him again.

There is a way.

Her tears have dried now and she knows what she must do. She takes the makeshift stake in both of her hands and touches its jagged point against her own chest, right above her broken heart. Warm blood trickles from the soft skin there, grazed from the jagged point of the stake.

Caroline's eyes once again look for Klaus, tearing up again when she sees his gray form, lying limp in their bed. My fault, my fault, my fault, mine, mine, mine, mine…

There is a way to be with him again.

Caroline's fingers tighten around the stake. She pushes down, not even feeling the physical pain.