11. Here we meet

Here We Meet

Mystic Falls, 2010

Caroline pulled back from Robb after a few moments, tears still fresh in her eyes. He held her from him at arm's length and Caroline was surprised to notice the wetness in his eyes as well. He suddenly smiled at her, reminding her of a younger, freer Robb. I can't believe it's all back.

She smiled back as he gently thumbed away the rest of her tears.

"It is good to see you again, little sister." Robb said.

"You too." She whispered in return. "You too. I can't believe it's really you." Her eyes turned to wonder. "And I know you. I know everything. You gave it back. You came back for me."

"I will always look after you Caroline. You have my word on that." He promised, blue eyes shining brightly. Robb finally let go of his sister and she pulled herself from his embrace, trying to compose herself. He stood and offered her a hand to help her, which she took gratefully. Once she was on her feet she swayed slightly, the after effects of… whatever Robb did to her were still influencing her. Her brother steadied her quickly, keeping her upright. As he did so, however, Caroline caught another glimpse of the ghastly scars that marred his throat.

She stiffened as the sight of his dead body flashed before her eyes once more.

"Are you alright, Care?" Robb asked with a concerned tone.

"Who killed you Robb?" She asked bluntly once she managed to pull herself out of her memories. "I remember seeing you, everyone, dead… Who killed you and the others? Mama? Little Laura?" When he didn't answer right away, Caroline prompted again. "Robb?"

"It is no longer of import." The elder Forbes sibling replied.

"What do you mean it's not important?" She exclaimed, incredulous. "Of course it's important." How couldn't it be? She deserved to know who slaughtered her family in such cold blood, didn't she? She hadn't been able to figure out who had done it before Klaus, her Klaus, took her memory; she had been so filled with grief at the time. Even now, it was hard for her to swallow. She finally learned about her past and yet, most of it seemed dead and gone. I need to at least know who killed my family.

"Caroline, you mustn't dwell on the past anymore. It's time to move forward." Robb said, breaking through her trail of thoughts. She met his blue eyes with her own, finding him looking back at her earnestly.

"I will move forward, Robb, I will… But, for now, I need to know." Caroline replied, keeping her gaze on his. "If you want to me to move forward then I first need answers. I will only… dwell more if there are still questions left unanswered."

"I do not want you to live the rest of your life craving revenge, sister. That is not your role. What is done is done." Robb hedged, trying to avoid the topic. He had long accepted his death, his family's death. For many centuries on the other side, he had been angry. Angry that he had been pulled from life too soon, angry that he had never been able to see his daughter as a woman. But hate took more energy than forgiveness, than acceptance. So he had let go of his anger. After all, though he had never known his daughter in life, at her death he had finally been able to meet her.

Caroline would never die, not of natural causes in any case. She would never have that kind of closure. So, he needed to make sure she didn't stray down the wrong path. It was all too easy to do and his sister was simply too good to turn up like that.

Besides, she had to play her part.

"Please, brother, tell me." Said sister begged, the tears rising back up to her eyes. Robb was beginning to find it harder to refuse her.