15. A little more, A little less

A Little More, A Little Less

Mystic Falls, Virginia 2010

Caroline woke feeling better rested than she had in weeks. She was shrouded in a happy warmth, still lying comfortably on Klaus' chest. She knew she should probably move away from him, but this was just so damn cozy, she couldn't bear the thought of it. Instead, she trailed her fingers lightly over the hard planes of his chest, sighing in contentment.

Her head told her that what she was doing was too fast, too soon. But her heart told her to damn it all. To take a chance.

For now, she decided to go with her heart. Truth is, she missed Klaus so much… The way they used to be. She loved him. She just wanted to be allowed to love him like she used to.

So she continued to trail her fingers down his bare chest, eventually tracing the tattoo that now adorned his upper arm. He certainly did not used to have that before.

She couldn't say she was displeased by it.

"Good morning." She was startled out of her thoughts by his voice and she tilted her head so that she was looking up into his face. He was smiling back down at her. It wasn't a smirk but a real, rare smile, with dimples and all. Caroline's heart skipped a beat.

"Morning." She whispered. Klaus' hand had somehow found itself under her shirt during the night and was now sitting on the small of her back, his thumb tracing small circles on her skin. He leaned closer to her so that his forehead was touching hers.

He made no further move, putting the ball in her court.

She arched up to place a short kiss to his lips, making her choice to just be there with him right now.

Neither spoke of what would happen next. They did not discuss Mikael, or the fact that Klaus was finally free of him. They didn't speak about the fact that she could have died or that he'd saved her and she him. In fact, they didn't say anything at all.

Caroline simply settled back in his embrace laying her head over his heart. She placed a gentle kiss to his chest, before snuggling back into him. Klaus' arms tightened around her, holding her close.

It was peaceful. Right.

And they both knew it wouldn't last.

Caroline sighed as she walked down into the half-finished parlor of Klaus' home. Her hair was still damp from her shower, and she wore one of his shirts and a pair of sweatpants she found, her own clothes being dirty with blood. Klaus had left an hour before, needing to check on some 'business'.

He didn't need to ask her to wait there for him. He knew that she wanted to talk to him. It was time they figured everything out.

Only, when she heard the door opening, signaling his return, she didn't get to have the talk she'd wanted.

"Were you a part of this?" Klaus growled ferociously at her, not bothering with a proper greeting. He was absolutely livid and Caroline had no idea why.

"A part of what?" She asked, utterly bewildered.

"Stefan's little plan to take my family!" Now he was standing right in front of her, his nose almost touching hers. At this proximity, she could see the worry in his expression, hidden under all of that anger.

"No! Of course not! I care about them too, you know? How could you even think that?" Caroline couldn't help but feel slightly offended that he thought she would do such a thing.