Chapter 17

Chapter 17

It’s been two weeks since the bathroom incident. Neither Nathan nor Nadeem ever mention each other. They never cross paths again. Nadeem stops following the boy. The word ‘goodbye’ last time since to becoming true. Nathan went back to his life. Hanging out with Greyson, which, he never thinks about taking their relationship to the next level. While, Nadeem, has a company to run.

Natalie presses the last letter on her keyboard before leaning heavily on her chair. This is their last week of overtime. She has so much work due and she needs to complete it today. She proceed to print all the documents while saying goodbye to others who were already submitted all their work.

“Do you need me to wait for you?” asked Sabrina, one of her colleagues.

Natalie thinks for a second. “You should go. You have a family to come home to. I’ll be fine.”

“Are you sure?” Sabrina tries to confirm again.

Natalie nods. “Besides, it just this. I will send this to the boss and I’ll go home.”

“Alright. I’ll leave first.”

With that, Natalie was left alone with a bunch of paper that she needs to organize. Her forehead crumbles as she tries so hard not to make any mistakes. It’s the task that is due and she’s been doing it for the whole week now. She can’t afford to mess it up.

When she finished, she turn it in the file before going to her boss’ room. She knocks twice then lets herself in. Nadeem is there. Sitting at his desk, frowning at the computer screen. He seems to be too focused and does not realize that the woman already standing in front of him.

“Boss…” Natalie called softly.

Only after a few more calls, does the boss responded. He blinks when he sees Natalie standing there awkwardly.

“Ms. Reed…”

“Here’s the paperwork, boss.” she hands the file which Nadeem takes it. “I already email you the slide. You can check it first and tell me if there’s anything that should be correct. I can get it done tomorrow before the meeting.”

Nadeem smiled faintly. “You’ve done enough, Ms. Reed.”

Natalie nods. “If nothing else I will head home now.”

“Sure.” Nadeem starts to flip the documents in the file. “Tell the guard I will stay a little bit longer.”

Natalie wants to tell her boss that he should rest for a little. But, she knows it's not her place for now. The company is too big to run. Since it becomes successful, the boss needs to face the consequences of losing time to rest. After saying goodbye, she starts to walk away.

“Ms. Reed…”

The lady turns around almost immediately. She almost thinks that it is not the time for her to head home yet. But what comes next is unexpected.

“How’s your brother?”

“My brother?” Natalie frowns. “Nathan?”

Nadeem nods. He didn’t look at the woman at all. He’s still focused on the documents in front of him.

Natalie, on the other hand, is stunned. She wants to see the real expression that the boss makes. “He’s fine I guess. Do you still remember him?”

The question hung up in the air for almost a minute before Nadeem answered. “Yeah.”

The short answer does not satisfy Natalie. But she does not dare to demand more.

“Thank you, Natalie.” Finally, Nadeem looks at her with a smile. “Don’t forget to tell the guard.”

And that’s the cue for the woman to start walking away again. There are too many questions that remain unanswered in her head. Instead of going back into the room to demand it, she just head home. She’s too tired. It’s not the right time to think about something trivial for her.

Since its already late, the road to her home was not busy. It takes only 10 minutes by taxi. Thank God she doesn’t need to drive. She’s not surprised when the lights in the house are still on. She knew Nathan just got back from his work as well. And it has proven right when she saw her brother laying on the couch playing with his phone. He still wears the same clothes from work.

“Work is hell!” Natalie throws herself on the couch across from Nathan.

“Excuse me.” Nathan raises his brow with his eyes still on his phone. “That’s my line.”

Natalie rolls her eyes. “You’re not the only worker in this world.”

“The overtime still not over yet?”

Natalie shrugs. “So far… Today will be the last of the project. I hope the meeting will turn out so well tomorrow.”

No response receive. They remain silent for a few minutes before Natalie turns to look at her brother.

“Something weird happen today.”

“Hmm?” Nathan still focuses on his phone. “What is it?”

“My boss was asking about you.”

The phone Nathan was holding fell right on his face. He’s not even ready to avoid it. “Fuck!!” He sits right up rubbing his mouth. He even checks his teeth to make sure nothing is broken. When he regains himself, he looks at her sister. “What did you just say?”

“My boss was asking about you,” Natalie repeat without any suspicion.

“What did he ask?” Nathan frowns.

The woman just shrugs. “Just asking how are you. That’s all. And you’re fine. So, you’re fine. He didn’t ask more.”

Nathan almost let out a sigh. He almost showed his real expression. He was so excited to know what kind of question would Nadeem ask about him. But, the result was a disappointment for him.

“I’m surprised he still remembers you.” Natalie comment. “I mean… I hope he forgot you.”

Nathan narrow his eyes. “That’s rude.”

“How rude?” Natalie sits upright. “You’re embarrassing. You look so dumb in front of him and Laura.”

Nathan cursed under his breath. He still remembers about that incident. But, behind all of that, no one knows the beautiful memory that him and the boss shared.

“Whatever. I need to take a shower then sleep.” Natalie stands up and walks away.

Nathan still stays there. There are too many hopes. Hopes that he wishes will never come to his mind again. Is that mean that Nadeem is still interested in him? He was so sure that the boss will never bother him again. The last time they’ve seen each other surely left a painful memory for them both.

No contacts. He didn’t even hear anything about the boss. And that makes him miserable for these past weeks. Fortunately, Greyson was in the picture. Covering all the missing pieces he was craving for. He’s not sure what he wants. But, he knows for sure that the boss will not go to vanish from his life that easily.

_________________________________________

I will do my best, guys. I will try to update more. My time always gives me hell. When I thought I could update, something came up. So, you guys need to be patient. Until next time.

xoxo, D