[05] Underlying Denial

there's kind of a spoiler in this chapter?
mitsuya has little sisters, that's all.

———

For some reason, you've been keeping your guard up recently. You've been encountering the Toman members more frequently than usual and it's getting a bit too much. Hell, Mikey and Draken come fetch Takemichi from school at least once a week; being in the same class as him, you really can't catch a break from them.

This is why you were taking it extra slow on your way to the shrine. You would probably already be there by now, but you weren't in the mood to run into Toman. They're exhausting to be around, despite being so fun.

You stopped in your tracks when you noticed a children's playground. Although it wasn't the same one, yourself and your brother used to hang around playgrounds. You remember Kazuya bullying you to push him on the swings when you were about five years old. You recall being hit by his bottom and flying back about ten metres. He ended up crying after that.

There was also another time before he passed away, where you two went to the park in the late afternoon. You were bigger kids at that point. Your brother had actually gotten stuck in the tube slide and you had to kick him down. Thankfully no one called the police even after hearing girlish screams.

If only you could go back to those times where it was much simpler.

Your thoughts came to an end when a sudden scream had made it to your ears – it was from the park. You rushed inside the area and tried to find where the noise came from. It was a bit worrying; you could've sworn it was a little girl's screams.

"Mana, Takashi-nii-chan will come back soon. We have to stay strong for him!"

"...But, he's been gone for ages!" More sobs escaped the younger girl. "He hasn't come back since those bad guys took him!"

"Mana..." You saw two young girls—most likely both under ten—holding onto each other beside a nearby tree. "I know he's been gone for an hour, but he won't abandon us!" So their brother had left them all by themselves? You had to do something!

"Luna." The shorter girl with space buns wiped her tears and stuffed her face into her sister's stomach. No other parent at the park seemed to even notice these two, or their screams of panic. It was up to you to help!

"...Um, girls? Are you alright?" You had approached the two, squatting down to get to their height.

"...Mana, ignore the stranger. She's here to kidnap us. Remember what Takashi-nii-chan said?" The shorter girl—Mana—lifted her head and observed your expression.

"Luna, but she's pretty."

"Thank you, Mana-san." You dug your hand into you bag and got some tissues. "Here you go. I might be a stranger to you, but I don't have any bad intentions. I want to help you two. Are you lost?"

"N-No." Luna clenched on her sister's jacket when you talked. She wanted to listen to her brother's lesson of not talking to strangers, but you were pretty! She couldn't ignore what you were saying. "Our... Our brother... he, um..."

"Taka-nii left with scary guys before!" More tears escaped from Mana's eyes. "He hasn't come back!" You grabbed some more tissues and helped clean her face. "I want Taka-nii!"