[08] Persistence

Today, or rather this weekend, was a bit unusual to your normal weekends. Instead of being the shrine, you were in the middle of a local park square beside the huge statue that was the main attraction of the place. Beside you, was a radio that was ready to be played and in front of you, a group of approximately twelve elderly people.

"Okay! Is everyone ready for morning calisthenics?" They had just raised their hands as a 'go' signal. You clicked the play button and joyful-like music came playing out at a steady rhythm. Like you were told, you had to lead these people in their exercise. "Lift your hands up and straighten your back! Bring your arms down and stand on your toes for a second! Then arms out and back down and lift! One, two, three, four!"

The old people were very fit for their age, hell they seemed to be more flexible and than you. There was no need to slow down or skip over any of the moves since they seemed to be able to do anything. Perhaps you should go out and exercise a bit more. Even though this was a small favour you were doing for someone, you could definitely see yourself just joining in every now and then.

"Hey, Smiley. Doesn't she look familiar?"

"Who? The one by the statue? ...Oh! I remember her face, she's that girl that we met the other day. What was her name again?"

"It was [last name], I think. But come on... Let's go." Angry stomped past the park, wanting to get away from the crowd.

"Aw come on, we can watch for a little bit. I didn't know she was a Good Samaritan for doing this. I have to take pictures for Mikey." Smiley took out his phone and aimed the camera of it towards you direction, but noticed that your were facing towards him. "Ah, I got caught."

"You're embarrassing yourself. Let's just–"

"Kawata-san! And... Kawata-san!" You waved your hands at them. "Are you busy? Come join!" You would love to see them make fun of themselves here and send pictures to Hina. They looked at one another and then shook their heads. In response to that, you picked up a nearby stick on the ground and launched it towards their direction.

They quickly ran to the side to dodge the attack, but as they were frazzled, a few elderly women from the group had come up to the two. "That's your friend, yes? Come on, join her!"

"Angry, help me!"

"I'm dealing with this one here!" Eventually, the two boys were dragged by their collars towards the larger group and forced to join in. They stood right at the front of the group and just stayed still with an irk on both their faces. Although Smiley still had that goofy smile on, he was in the mood to punch someone. And Angry... well, he was kinda worried that he might accidentally punch one of the grandmas holding onto him.

"Kawata-san, stop slacking and stretch your arms!"

"We're both Kawata!"

"I was talking about both of you!" About another fifteen minutes had passed with continued exercise until the radio had stopped itself. The tape was finished and the morning calisthenics was finally over. "Everyone, if you have your cards, I can stamp them for you for today!" One by one, everyone who participated had gotten a stamp to show off that they were here – if the five by five table was filled, they would be entered into some sort of prize competition.

As you finished up with the last person, the twins had stormed towards you with their fists raised up in the air. "Forcing us into doing something like this?" Angry crossed his arms, attempting to intimidate you.

"[last name], you truly are one brave soul." Smiley placed a hand on your shoulder and squeezed it.

"I try to be courageous when I can. Thanks for noticing! And this is for you guys." You reached into your pocket and handed them both a card for the calisthenics exercise. "Hold on, I'll stamp them for you. If you fill it up, you could win a trip down to Okinawa I've heard."