[19] Rekindling Friendships

"Why did you guys come to visit this time?" You picked a card from Emma's four that were in her hands, moving towards Hina so she could do the same. "You've already stayed for two hours yesterday... and I have like, three days left here."

"Well, all the better! We want to stay with you until the end. Besides, we have nothing better to do right now. It's the weekend after all." Hina put down a pair of matching cards.

"So I'm just the choice to go to when you're bored. Thanks, you two."

"That's not what I meant! I'm sorry!"

"...I wanted to ask you guys this a few days ago, but I was a bit afraid of your answer. Did you... give my letter to them?"

"Yeah, we did." Emma replied, "Mitsuya-kun read it out to them and they... how did they react again, Hina?"

"They didn't take it well, but Baji-kun was the one who kept them in line. He said that they should respect you." Hina wasn't lying, she just wasn't telling you the full truth of what happened right after. She couldn't! For the sake of the plan.

"Tachibana-san, Emma-san... Did Mikey-san happen to tell you about... me?"

"He mentioned a few things, so yes. He just talked about the background of your brother—I'm sorry for your loss." You waved off Emma's response. "Um, I can understand why you did cut yourself off from them. And i just want to let you know that Toman still cares about you. So... if you do want to come back, you can." Hina was thrown back a bit, that wasn't part of the script.

"I'm glad... And I won." You placed down your last pair of cards and waited for them to finish their game; in the end, Hina had one card left over. "We'll play again another time, maybe you'll win next time, Tachibana-san."

"I definitely will! I'm not going to lose!"

"[name], your mom has arrived with some takeout sushi!" Just in time, you mother swung the door open and revealed three bags of the dish. "I also bought you girls some too. A thanks for always keeping my daughter company here."

"Oh, you didn't have to [last name]-san! It's been so much fun staying here with [name]-chan. But thank you." Yourself and the girls began to eat, with your mom taking a seat beside you.

"No worries. I was going to buy some sweet bread too, but some blond boy had snatched all the dorayaki off the shelves." Your mother scratched her head, "And when I bought the sushi, a pair of twins had come in and actually recommended a box for me. How strange. Anyway, you're all school friends, right? How is [name] in school? Is she a troublemaker?"

"Um... I'm not in her class, but I'm sure she's a good student! I think I saw her name in the top twenty students for our last mid-term. She's really smart!" Hina pointed out.

"I don't go to school with these two. I met [name]-chan through Hina-chan."

"That's nice. [name]-chan has always isolated herself so I haven't seen her have friends since elementary school. I'm glad she has you two. If only Kazuya had better friends." Your mom sighed, and closed her eyes. "Then he would still be here with us." The room had gotten quiet for a moment, allowing it to be basked in a melancholic aura. "My apologies, he was my eldest son. [name]'s older brother."

"Mom, they know about Kazuya."

"Well I didn't know that. I'm being a bit mundane; it's probably the age. Sorry girls."

"No, it's okay. Um, may I ask you a favour, [last name]-san?" Emma put down her food and looked your mother in the eyes. "If you and your husband could bring [name]-chan down to the hospital's courtyard later in the afternoon? Around five o'clock? And I mean you, your husband and [name]-chan."