[12] Difficult Decisions

You've taken it upon yourself to visit Draken every day since the day of the incident. It was currently the late morning of August tenth and the boy was casually laying in bed watching your hands cut up some fruit.

Unfortunately, you weren't the best with knives so the apples were a bit lopsided. "Draken-san, stop judging me. I'm trying my best. Don't blame me for my palm getting sliced up. Be glad I'm wearing gloves."

"I didn't even say anything." He reached out to grab an apple piece from the plate in your lap. "I don't even understand why you continue to pester me here."

"I just want to ensure you're fine. You're an important person in everyone's lives; it'd be bad if something suddenly happens to you."

"What? Does this bring back bad memories? You don't look too good." He used his hands as another leverage on his pillow as he got comfortable.

"If I only had a just a little bit of Mikey-san's trust and belief, perhaps my brother would still be here. If I actually tried to get help... then maybe... Sorry, Draken-san, you don't need to hear this on a hospital bed."

"...When Mikey came this morning before you, he finally mentioned something about you." You stopped cutting and looked at him in curiosity, "He said he wanted to... renew our promise."

"Promise?"

"We promised that I'd make sure you don't get hurt or too involved in Toman's business. But it was my fault that you got into this mess and got hurt. I'm sorry. I know you also don't like gangs... and this, probably made you want to kill me too, right?"

"You don't need to be sorry for that, Draken-san. For the record, I don't want to kill you. If I wanted to, I would've done so already." He felt a shiver down his spine, and it wasn't from the open window. "Even though I don't want to be involved in gang violence... this situation was different. It not only involved Toman, it involved my friends." Draken turned his head and observed your expression; he hadn't expected a response like that. "To me, Takemichi-san, Mikey-san, Mitsuya-san, Baji-san, Chifuyu-san, Nahoya-san, Souya-san and you, Draken-san... you guys are my friends first, and Toman comes second."

"Geez, you're getting too sappy. But, I'm still sorry. You shouldn't get mixed up in our mess anymore. Ill make sure of it."

"Draken-san, I have a feeling that I won't be able to escape Toman's problems. So, maybe you should cancel the promise... But either way, if you guys are in a pinch, give me a call."

"Like I'd willingly put you in trouble. Mikey will actually kill me this time–"

"Draken-kun~" Takemichi's unusually enthusiastic voice had interrupted your conversation. "I came to visit!" When the boy had appeared from behind the curtains of the hospital bed, you cringed at his outfit. His hair was slicked back with a few strands sticking out, with obnoxious purple glasses, a thin button up t-shirt that isn't even fully buttoned up... and lastly, a pair of stupidly red khaki pants.

Yourself and Draken clicked your tongues. "How ya feeling?" Takemichi raised three fingers up to greet him. "Oh, [last name]-san too."

"Who the hell died and made you king?"

"Huh? Wh-Whatever do you mean?" His confidence faltered when Draken doubted him.

"Your head's gettin' too big for your body. And just because you got a little attention for something you only had little part in. Get over yourself, dumbass. How lame can you be?"

"I wonder how Tachibana-san would react to seeing you like that." You quickly snapped a picture of him and sent an email to the girl.

"[last name]-san, please don't take pictures!"