[10] Internal Conflicts

Toman had been acting a bit more on edge lately. Mikey wasn't in his usual happy-go-lucky mood and his guard seemed to be up. Not to mention, one of the Toman captains was missing... Pah-chin? That was him.

No one had told you anything about what was going on—which was understandable—but it felt odd to be out of the loop. Anyway, enough of that, Hina had invited you out to the Musashi Festival today with Emma. But, most likely, they would be with their respective lovers.

You did not want to be stuck as the third-wheel. Besides, you'd rather just do your own thing and take your time. And so, here you were in a hoodie and some shorts buying all types of food that was available. It wasn't everyday you would be exposed to all this festival food.

Not to mention, all of the stalls were so much fun! Although they were quite rigged. You were scammed 500 yen for trying out the ring toss. Those rings did not fit over the prizes at all.

Your short-lived joy however had soon come to an end when you felt a drop of rain hit the tip of your nose. "At least I finished eating..." You pulled up your hood and ran towards the forest to get shelter from the rain. Then you realised that there would probably be a better spot to stay – the shrine.

Thank goodness you were wearing good shoes; going through the now wet dirt under this heavy rain became an easy feat. "I didn't even bring an umbrella... I wonder how Tachibana-san and Emma-san are going. They're wearing yukata's today." When you arrived at the shrine, you noticed that there were people there – but not regular shrine visitors, they were Toman members.

You stayed hidden behind a tree, observing the scene. You didn't recognise any of them so far, but they seemed to be scheming something. As you were about to approach them, two figures coming out from the other side of the shrine appeared. Some Toman member was dragging... Takemichi towards the bigger group. Was he also spying on them? But where was Hina?

He was then thrown onto the ground with quite some force and struggled to get up. You decided the best thing you should do was stay hidden until something worse happens. You didn't know whether or not any of them had any weapons or underhanded tactics they might use.

"Oi, Hanagaki!" You were startled when the main leader of the group had shouted Takemichi's name. Did they know each other from a previous event? They didn't seem to be on the best terms.

When your friend was trying to stand back up, he was immediately slapped by one of the lackeys and continued to be thrown around like a rag-doll until he fell back onto the ground. The poor boy was then surrounded by the group just to get kicked around once again.

Seeing Takemichi in such a weak position made your heart ache. How could they even do that? Your attitude towards them changed when Takemichi had taken his own pride and dignity in order to apologise to the boys in the most formal way possible—on his knees with his forehead to the wet stone ground.

You clicked your tongue and stepped out from your hiding spot. "Hey." Their attention was now onto you, "If you're going to do this type of stuff, don't do it in front of the shrine. It's disrespectful."

"[last name]...chan?" Takamichi lifted his head from the ground, only for it to be stopped on.

"Let Takemichi-san go, and get on with your lives." You outstretched your hand and pushed the taller male off of your friend. "Are you alright, Takemichi-san?"

"[last name]-san, watch out!" To your left, a fist was incoming. You leaned back just a bit and grabbed the person's arm with your hands and threw him over your shoulder.

"Takemichi-san, stand up if you can and run."

"I can't leave you behind!" You pulled the back of his shirt and jumped backwards. "Woah–!"