[14] Comfort in Her Arms

This was the second time you've been here – at Baji's household that is. Currently, you were standing in front of door, waiting for someone to open it. You had a few bags in hand, one with your school books and the other with snacks for you and your friend to share.

Baji had asked you... well, more like begged for you to help him with schoolwork and his upcoming tests. You honestly didn't expect him to be so studious, but then you recalled Chifuyu telling you that he was actually held back a year.

When you had inquired about Baji's request, and why he didn't want Chifuyu to teach him (since they went to the same middle school), Baji just told you that he was sick of hearing his voice. Apparently, Chifuyu wasn't the best teacher in the world. Not to say that you were better, but you couldn't refuse Baji when you could hear him tearing up from the other side of the phone.

The door opened and revealed Baji's mother. "Oh! [name]-chan, right? I remember you from the other time! Please, come in, come in!"

"Excuse my intrusion, Baji-san. Baji– Um, your son has asked for my help today with his studies." You followed her down the hall, "Has he told you?"

"What is he up to this time? Keisuke has told me that you were coming over, but I worry for him sometimes. He's not the best boy around. Hopefully he isn't causing you any trouble, [name]-chan."

"No, Baji-san. Your son has been quite good to me ever since I've met him. Baji-san is a good person at heart." The woman in front of you sighed and just thanked you. "Um, would you also be able to put this in your fridge? I bought some yakisoba for Baji-san, but I wouldn't want it going off."

"Of course, of course! You're such a good girl, [name]-chan. My Keisuke doesn't deserve such kindness!"

"Mom! I thought I told you that I was gonna get the door!"

"Keisuke, you were in the bathroom. I didn't want [name]-chan waiting outside." His mom just shook her head. "Now don't make any trouble for [name]-chan, Keisuke. Go and do what you two need to do. I'll bring over some tea and snacks." The boy of the house slouched his shoulders in embarrassment, but grabbed your wrist to lead you to his room. "One last thing, leave the door open!"

"Mom!" Baji practically shot out of the hallway (with you in hand) and threw you into his room, making sure to close the door securely. "[last name]-chan, I swear I won't do anything to you. I don't want mom looking at us while we study."

"...That's okay, Baji-san. Do what you must." You made yourself comfortable on the floor beside the low table that had been set up prior to your arrival. His room... was normal, just like his home. His Toman jacket was hung up on the door and he had plain bed sheets. Overall, just a plain room. Even the walls were naked; he really needed some designing. "Baji-san, we should take pictures together. That way, you'll be able to decorate your room with them and make it a little brighter."

"If there are pictures of you, I wouldn't hesitate to just make one of my four walls, pictures of just you." Okay, maybe your suggestion was a bit too much. He was clearly taking it the wrong way. You then opened your school bag and began to work out what you should teach your friend first.

"So, how bad are you with studying? What do you not know?"

"Everything." He took the seat in front of you and placed his unused textbooks on the table.

"Everything? Oh boy." And so, you went through the entire school curriculum with him. Since you were also a second-year in middle school, it was easy to teach him what he didn't know. However, the hard part of it was actually having him understand the content you were teaching.

He had trouble remembering kanji in Japanese, events and key figures in Japanese history, phrases in English... the list goes on. You weren't surprised that he was held back a year. You needed a way where he would understand what you were saying... and you had just the idea.