Her Escort

The Commander's eyes gaped at her as if to ask why-are-you-here-? And in response, the princess averted her eyes saying you-don't-need-to-know.

He opened his mouth to say something when his subordinate whispered something in his ear. With a curt nod, he spared a last look at her and walked away with reluctant steps.

Inara breathed, thank the gods above or he would have marched right up to me and would have shoved me out of the drill hall. I should get going now and do my job before he shows up again only to ruin my plans.

She summoned a soldier standing nearby the entrance. "Take me to the recruits. I am going to take an escort," she ordered him as Alina passed the emperor's decree to him as proof.

"Right here your highness," the soldier bowed, showing her the way to one of the many barracks.

When they reached the site, she found the men bustling inside the camp, the loud voices of their complaints and laughter muffling the sound from the other barracks. The air was arid, hot and she scrunched up her nose as the scent of their sweat mixed with dust and sand hit her nostrils.

"You came at the right time, your highness. The men have just finished their afternoon training," the soldier talked enthusiastically, tailing her behind every step. It didn't take her much to realize why was he being so sincere to her.

Apparently, his words caught the attention of the other men for she found them all standing and staring at her fixedly. These were the rare times when she found the rule of covering half of the face with a veil in front of men comforting. She found Alina towering stiff and alert behind her.

With a small sigh, she began, "You all must be surprised to see a Shahzadi in your camp, don't you?"

The soldier took her hint. "Bow down before the imperial Shahzadi, you barbarians!" he shouted at the top of his lungs to make sure his voice reached everyone inside the camp. The recruits followed his command, bowing their torso in her presence.

The princess smiled, her flimsy shimmering veil that covered her face from her nose revealed the spark in her clear agate eyes. "I won't take much of your time future soldiers," she chirped, "I need one of you to work as my escort for some time." There was no doubt that her honied voice and gentle tone took all men to present inside the camp under her spell.

The recruits looked at each other talking in low voices she couldn't hear, but a man who smiled towards her confidently took her by interest. She called him, pointing a finger, "you there, please come forward."

He stepped forward and silence slowly fell inside the camp.

"Milady!"

"What is your name?"

"I'm Nasir from the Taba tribe of Northern mountains, milady."

Inara gave him a curt nod in acknowledgment. "Will you help me choose a suitable man, Nasir?"

"Gladly milady. But__ I have a condition."

"Hmm?" she peered at him inquisitively.

"Please send that soldier behind you outside the camp when I do so, milady."

Alina clutched the hem of the princess's dress in a warning.

"Him?" Inara turned her head to look over her shoulder. "Alright," she shrugged, ordering the soldier, "You're dismissed."

"But Shahzadi__" Alina whispered in her ear, "__you can't let yourself alone with them inside the camp. Who knows what they are planning?"

"Don't worry Alina," Inara whispered back. She was curious to see what these men are planning to do after sending away the soldier.