Novel-Ties

The princess thought that the headquarter of Spada would resemble similar to that of the palace's drill hall, but this place felt more like a gathering area than a mercenary agency. She stood at the center of the courtyard of the three-storeyed building, flanked by arcades and baluster-decorated balconies. A grand chandelier made of delicate glasswork hung up on the ceiling and a medium-sized fountain in the center of the complex.

Boys and Men strolled around in small groups, some looked busy with their jobs while some seemed like they were dallying around for no reason. She couldn't make out any distinct guards or workers of any sorts among them.

Aydin blocked the path of two boys passing by them. "Where is Arsalan?" he asked and to someone who didn't know him, his question sounded like a threat owing to his daunting voice.

One of the boys shot his eyes inquisitively, "Do you have a score to settle with him?"

Inara stepped ahead of Aydin and spoke with a sweet voice, "No, we're his guests."

The boy didn't give a second thought before shouting, "hey Baig!! A girl's here to meet Arsalan!"

"Got it!" another voice replied from somewhere, apparently Baig's.

Meanwhile, she waited for the boys to usher her to wherever Arsalan was, letting her eyes roam to places other than their faces, and avoiding their intense stares in the process.

The boy finally asked, unable to keep it any longer. "Are you Arsalan's illegitimate daughter?" His friend broke into an awkward cough behind him.

"What?" she was taken aback by his question. "Gods! No!" she yelled, revolted by the idea.

The boy's expression turned more aghast after listening to her retort. He covered his mouth with his fist, "Don't tell me you are his lover, because you look way young for that."

"Of course not!!" her frown grew deeper, "why are you jumping to such drastic conclusions?"

Someone came smacking the boy at his head. She immediately recognized his face as he stepped forward. She remembered that she saw him with Kais yesterday. The uninterested one. The house was dimmer that time, but now, in the bright courtyard, she could make out the pale white scar that went through his nose, the hint of red hue on his dark hair due to Heena dyeing, and the slit of his murky eyes.

He didn't so much as pass her a second look and said, "Come on," gesticulating with his finger.

This was how she came to meet Arsalan in his authentic office, which in reality didn't look as grand as she had imagined it to be. From the opened threshold, she could see Arsalan engaged in a serious conversation with someone. And by giving it another keen look, she could easily tell that the other man was none other than Kais.

Just as her presence was notified to them, Kais whipped around his head, welcoming her with his signature grin. "Just when it was getting dreary__" his charming voice trailed.

"I think it's safe for me to assume that you're convinced of my credibility now," Arsalan said, as she stepped in front of him.

"I had no option when you have such a roundabout way of introducing yourself," she defended, weighing her words carefully.

"You have quite your way with words for a young lady, but maybe it's because of your noble upbringing. I have come up with few names of the families you might belong to, by now."

"Good luck with finding my real identity then."

"I know you have your sole business with the old man here but I don't think I'm that invisible for you not notice me, azizam," Kais crooned, crossing his arms around his chest.