The Truth They Couldn't Face

Aydin didn't give her a chance to confirm her assumption. With a jerk, he adjusted her more comfortably in his arms, running as soon as the hooded stranger cleared a way for them. That voice, that clear, deep baritone... it was somehow familiar to her. But how can a stranger sound familiar?

Eshgham...

His voice wouldn't stop ringing in her mind, much clearer amongst the wave of screams they heard while escaping away from the group of enemies. Was it really him? Or was it just a hallucination? Maybe she mistook the stranger for him? Was it because she hadn't forgotten him for a single moment since her rebirth?

Perhaps she would never know the answer since they left him behind, in the middle of the wolves. From what she saw, he wasn't all that heavy built or warrior-like, with a lithe and boyish profile from behind. Will he survive the fight?

No. Somehow, the confidence and surety in his voice told her that he would be the victor, and that they would meet again, one day or another. And she already couldn't wait for that day to come. Even if he wasn't who she supposed him to be, she wanted to know who would risk so much to help her.

"...llika...

"Mallika."

"Huh?" Inara looked at Aydin in a daze. She found his facial expression somewhat between concern and confusion as he stared down keenly at her. And with that, she also realized that he had slowed down his pace, which he shouldn't since those goons could still be lurking around somewhere.

As she studied his expression, and felt the tautness of his body under her skin, she understood his worries without him needing to express them in words.

"Don't worry," she tipped her chin down, "I'm fine. We shouldn't slow down anyway. If anything, you should put me down, for my weight must be straining your arm."

It didn't take him even a blink to reply, "No."

Of course. One-syllable replies must be what he only knew to say, and 'No' must be his favorite word. She was too exhausted to explain anything anyway.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

By the time they reached back to the palace, the eventful night was waning, preparing to welcome the dawn anytime soon. But it was still dark enough for her to get back to her chamber unnoticed. Her reunion with Kais and some of his friends was brief, with only the conversation of everyone's whereabouts exchanged. Many of the mercenaries were yet to return, but she was relieved to know that at least all of Leila's girls returned safely back to her. On the other hand, she deferred the topic about her injuries to the upcoming daylight.

A sharp crunch of cracking twigs, and rustling leaves resonated as someone emerged from the very trees and bushes that hid the entrance of her secret passage perfectly.

"So you're from the imperial palace..." the man smirked dirty, wiping the dirt off his chin.

Oh ho... it seemed like the bad luck hadn't left her side yet. Out of all places where he could have caught them, this debauched man decided to do it just near the palace. She remembered him as one of the caravan leader's close companions...perhaps a bodyguard.

What am I do with him now? She pondered as her heart thudded beneath her chest wildly.

"You followed us so far and that too alone? You sure are brave," she stated, feigning brass.

"I should've known earlier that only a woman from the treacherous palace can be this impudent," he continued, his eyes dilating with fanatic madness as he approached closer.

This man... was much more dangerous than the ones they'd escaped from, a few hours ago. She had seen one such person in her husband's court. This man was one of the kinds that didn't fear death or pain, the ones who had a sick principle driving them insane.