His Master

"Hmm?" Cassandan hummed with interest.

"It is as simple as I said. Just sell me your time and__ place I guess." Inara continued.

The musician rolled her eyes, "don't play riddles with me, girl. That's something I do."

"You will have to pretend that you have taken me as your apprentice. I will come to your place every day to learn from you while I won't be doing so in reality. In short, I'm asking you to cover up for me."

"And what will you be doing in reality, my dear?"

"I'll sneak out from your place. To the city center." The princess replied with confidence.

"To the city center?" Cassandan let out a peal of musical laughter. "Now I know why you came to me. Clever, I must say." She prowled around Inara slowly, "You knew I'd not deny it as long as it enrages Kaveh and nothing infuriates him more than his people going against him."

After a pregnant pause, she said, "I'll accept your request but_"

"But?" Inara tried to conceal the anxiety with a curious expression.

"But I want something in return."

"Something? I'm sure that it's not wealth and luxury that you seek since you've already got plenty of them. So please tell me what is it that this helpless Shahzadi can give you?"

"You became a helpless Shahzadi when it came to paying the price huh?" Cassandan snickered, the corners of her ruby-painted lips turning up in mirth.

"I'm being humble."

"Very well humble Shahzadi. I want a promise. A promise that I can ask from you anytime I wish."

"A promise__" Inara whispered more to herself. It may now sound like an easy price but it may cost me heavily in the future. "Does it have to be a promise? Nothing else? Perhaps any position or some kind of help__?"

"Give me a promise, or you can go ask for a favor from someone else," Cassandan replied in a brisk tone.

"Alright." Inara sighed. "In the name of my imperial blood, I'll grant you my promise."

"Good," Cassandan's smile grew feline. "I accept your proposal."

Inara's pursed her lips remembering the deal she struck with Cassandan. She could only hope that the musician wouldn't put her in a difficult position using that doomed promise.

"We have until dusk to do whatever we want. Although I'll try to return as fast as possible, I hope you'll help me if I come a bit late." She said to Cassandan who was busy taking sips of her hookah.

"Are all three of you going out?" That was all the musician asked, her tone nonchalant like she was just talking to some bunch of kids. The thought made the princess realize that they were indeed a bunch of kids- no one was actually an adult among them.

"No, my maid remains here," Inara replied directing her to look to Alina.

Alina frowned in panic and surprise. "There's no way you're going without me. You can't leave me alone here. We have done this before, haven't we?"

"No Alina, you have to stay here." Inara squeezed her friend's shoulder gently. "You have to do it for me. You have to pretend to be ME."

Alina's eyes widen in realization. "No!" she took a step back, brushing off the princess's hand. "No, NO!! I'm not doing this."

"If you don't do this, I might get caught. The guards will come inside to check whether everything is fine from time to time and if they won't find the princess practicing music inside, they'll immediately report it to the emperor." Inara started explaining, patiently.