Between Genuine And Sham Concerns

"Robbery?" the old man asked.

"You were not normal, to begin with, but I really didn't take you for the robber type," Kais quipped, looking at her like she was the most amusing thing ever. "Ah, I know those spoiled delinquent teenagers from the rich families but I expected better from girls."

Which arose another question____

"Which family do you belong to?" the old man questioned with a hint of curiosity laced in his tone.

Imperial family. However, she hadn't decided to disclose that part yet. So which family should she give? She never had known the names of the prominent families before, never had tried to know one.

"I'd prefer not to say that," she answered hoping that she won't give any signs of the anxiety she was suffering. "I thought I've heard that you don't mind anything as long as you get paid handsomely?"

The old man finally turned around. "That and as long as the job doesn't involve imperial family or harms innocent citizens." His face resembled that of a warrior aged like a fine wine, hard and dignified. And despite that roughness about his features, his eyes somewhat felt warm to her.

Oh!? I knew being a member of the imperial family won't help with my motives but I'm experiencing quite significant disadvantages of having an imperial name these days.

"But money obviously precedes other priorities." Kais finished with a sage-like nod.

Inara sighed. "It was my fault for not wording it in the right way," she started explaining, carefully ignoring the imperial connection part. "What I wanted to say is that we'll steal what is already stolen__ and robbing the robber himself isn't a bad thing, right?"

"That is just a pretty excuse you're deluding yourself with, azizam." Kais crooned.

"I don't care," she refuted, "just let me know if you can do it for me or not."

"Who do you want to steal it from?" the old man asked, contemplating her words.

"Before I'll tell you more about this__" she met his mud-colored eyes, "I want to make sure that I'm talking to genuine people and not a group of con-mans."

She could see Kais shaking with laughter from the corner of her eyes, shooting a teasing look to the old man. "It's been so many years and yet this is the first time I am hearing someone call you a con man. Oh, Man_ I'm enjoying this so much__."

Sure, you do! She surely would have spoiled his good mood if it wasn't for the important talk she was having with the old man.

The old man pressed his lips in a thin line, ignoring Kais' never-ending teasing. "I don't need to prove myself to you, young lady. But since I appreciate your bravado, I'll let you test me. Tomorrow, you can visit Spada's headquarter and ask for Arsalan. Your doubts will be cleared after that."

So, his name is Arsalan___ why does this name sound familiar?

"Am I supposed to believe that? For all I could imagine, you could spout some lies and use my information for your own benefit."

Just to make sure__that I won't be deceived.

Kais cocked his head, "and what makes you think that we won't do that now? If we want, we can very well capture you right this moment and no one will ever know a single word about your whereabouts after that."

He didn't just threaten her with Aydin standing behind her!! Either Aydin wasn't as intimidating as she believed him to be or this crazy man was really confident of himself. Of course, she was afraid, but she could always try faking confidence. It was not like she had other options__ at least not in her mind.