you may not speak to your superiors

Jun-Ho watches the man's body splash as it hits the water. It's definitely not the first man he's killed, and the guilt he feels is minimal. Sure, the guy could've been innocent, and sure, he could've had family waiting at home for him. But that's just the circle of life.

"Hey!" someone calls, and he nearly has a heart attack as he jerks away from the window and turns his gaze from the sinking body to the men in the red uniform approaching him.

"I get seasick," he blurts without thinking, instinctually forcing his voice to remain confident and authoritative.

"You may not speak to your superiors unless you are allowed," the man in the center says.

Okay, so maybe confident and authoritative wasn't the way to go.

Jun-Ho takes a look at his 'superior'; he seems slightly taller and more broad-shouldered than his comrades, but the biggest difference is their masks. The speaker wears a mask with a white square on it, which probably marks him off as top of the 'food chain', while the men escorting him have triangles on theirs, meaning they're in the middle. Although he didn't pay too much attention, he's pretty sure he's wearing a circle mask himself, which would most likely put him at the bottom. He also considers the possibility that the shapes on their uncannily vacant masks could also be referring to their skill or duties assigned.

Before he can decide, though, the 'square', after staring at him for a bit- or at least he assumes he was- says, "Go standby in the cabin and await further instruction."

Standby? Cabin? What the hell has he gotten himself into?

Jun-Ho tries to keep his face as emotionless as possible, regardless of the fact that no one can see it, until the men walk away. Once he's sure he's alone, he lets out a sigh of relief.

"Well, shit," he breathes to himself, looking around the interior of the ship for something that might resemble a cabin. He didn't quite get the chance to see where the rest of the workers went, so he marches in the direction that seems the most promising and prays for the best.

***

Jun-Ho looks at the key in his hand, and then over to the doors labeled by number. He walks down the hall, trying to find the corresponding door.

After he'd found the cabin, he sat with a bunch of other 'circles' until the ship had reached its destination; an island, he assumes- maximum privacy for whatever the hell it is they're doing here. Then, he drove his- or number 29's- van, doing his best to blend in and follow the rest of the crowd. After the vans stopped, he imitated the rest and unloaded the people, carried them on stretchers to a big vacant room, and dressed them in the same green jumpsuit, each with a different number. The workers had then all been sent to their rooms, which brings him to where he is now.

He finally comes to a stop in front of door 29, puts the key in and is about to turn it when he feels eyes on himself. He looks to his left, and there, a worker stares at him, the door in front of him reading '28'. After staring back for a bit, Jun-Ho dismisses the unusual behavior and pushes his own door open.

***

Jun-Ho's kind of shitting himself right now.

After he'd woken up that morning (number 28 stared at him again) he'd followed his coworkers to this playground that looked like it was made for giants. Once the players had arrived and honeycombs distributed, Jun-Ho lost the others and couldn't find an exit, so he's been sort of wandering aimlessly, looking clueless and generally acting very suspicious. It's probably not the smartest thing to do while undercover, getting lost, and Jun-Ho feels like a bit of a moron himself.

"Number 29," a slightly familiar, muffled voice says sternly.

"Sir?" Jun-Ho jumps upon seeing a square guard, and nearly kicks himself for forgetting about the rule about not speaking to superiors.

Thankfully, the man doesn't notice. "What is your duty today?"

Fuck, Jun-Ho curses silently. He thinks for a bit, hoping something will come to him. "My duty is-"

"29, you're duty is carrying out eliminated players," the masked man explains, surprisingly patient. Jun-Ho had half expected him to blow his head off by now. "Why are you here now?"

"I'm sorry. I got confused."

The guy pauses as if he's looking Jun-Ho over. "Stay here until after the game. I'll have a word with you about that confusion."

Jun-Ho gulps, nods.

Fucking hell.

not sure if these two guards were the same guy, but in my story they are.