city morgue

GUYS GUYS I SWEAR I PLANNED ON UPDATING THIS BOOK I HAVE JUST BEEN U N B E L I E V A B L Y BUSY THIS PAST WEEK AND ITS STILL GOING SO I HAVE NEXT TO NO FREE TIME AND I JUST WANTED TO SAY THAT IT IS ABSOLUTELY WILD THAT PEOPLE ARE STILL READING THIS AND ACTUALLY LIKING IT?? IT ABSOLUTELY EVADES ME WHY ANYONE WOULD EVER LIKE THIS AS MUCH AS YOU GUYS SEEM TO AND YOU ALL MAKE ME SO SO HAPPY I CANNOT PUT IT INTO WORDS

FOREHEAD KISSES ALL AROUND XXX

They make their way back to the main sitting area, Jun-Ho leading them with his sidekick- his trusty gun.

"Hey, have you named your gun?"

Jun-Ho turns around slowly to look at Chin-Hwa. "What the fuck is wrong with you?"

"I mean, you're so damn attached to the thing, I figured..." he trails off, seeing the deadpan look on the officer's face. He'd sort of assumed Jun-Ho would fuck his gun if he could, with the way his hand would immediately reach for it in all sorts of situations like it was some sort of emotional support death machine.

"I'm a police officer, it's part of my job," he says as they come up to the ringing phone. Chin-Hwa doesn't buy it, and still believes he's more than just coworkers with his gun, but he lets it slide. "Do I..." Jun-Ho looks down pointedly at the phone.

"What the hell are you gonna say?" Chin-Hwa says realistically. "'Hi, this is the Front Man's secretary, can I take a message?'" he mocks, high pitched, in what Jun-Ho assumes is his 'secretary voice'.

Jun-Ho can't help but snort at the guy's antics. "I was thinking of just answering with, 'city morgue'."

Chin-Hwa dissolves into chortles, and Jun-Ho is thinking about how cute the grown man looks, giggling like a little kid, and how the sound of his laughter and sight of his scrunched up eyes and exposed teeth makes his heart do something, because Jun-Ho did that, he made Chin-Hwa laugh, and it's weirdly elating- when the soft 'ding' of the elevator wrecks his train of thought and silences both of them.

After a moment of going completely still and exchanging an 'oh shit' look, Chin-Hwa grabs Jun-Ho by the forearm and drags him into the nearest room, which turns out to be a bedroom. They close the door behind them as quietly as possible, hoping the phone's ringing will cover up the sound of their footsteps. Shortly after they come to a standstill, the ringing ceases and a deep, sort of muffled voice speaks. Both of them move closer to the door to hear better, and Chin-Hwa realizes he's still gripping Jun-Ho's arm, and quickly lets go. Jun-Ho notices the tips of Chin-Hwa's ears go red even as the soldier's face scrunches up in concentration to hear what the man is saying.

"Front-man speaking....Yes. A minor disturbance has taken place. But it is being addressed. No need to worry...We'll make sure there's no trace of the disturbance by the time the VIPs arrive...Yes, sir. The game will begin on time, in line with the schedule."

They hear a click, and then receding footsteps, leading both of them to let out a breath they didn't know they'd been holding.

"Wow," Chin-Hwa says, still hushed, "I was shitting bricks the whole time."

"The VIPs again," Jun-Ho whispers. "Who the hell are they?"

"I haven't been told much about them," Chin-Hwa replies. "They don't tell us much, even though I'm a square, since I'm more in charge of the back end of things- the players and the games."

"That doesn't make sense-" Jun-Ho's brows furrow. "Why would the games be the back end?"

"Because, Jun-Ho," Chin-Hwa says, widening his eyes as if he was surprised Jun-Ho hasn't figured it out already. "It's entertainment,"

"For the VIPs?"

"Yeah," Chin-Hwa replies, "They're like, race horses, the players. Nothing more than a number to the VIPs. Something to bet on, to spend their money on, to distract them from the mounds of cash that they don't know what to do with."

"Hm," Jun-Ho says as he connects the dots in his head.

"So are we gonna leave here or would you..." Chin-Hwa puts a hand against the door and leans casually, his smirking face awfully close to Jun-Ho's as he pointedly tilts his head in the bed's direction, "like to stay a bit longer?" His voice heavy with implications, Chin-Hwa grins as a blush tints Jun-Ho's cheeks pink.

"You are so annoying," Jun-Ho huffs, looking at Chin-Hwa with a deadpan look while Chin-Hwa stares back with a playful sparkle in his eyes. The eye contact lasts a bit too long and, just like that, Jun-Ho gets more flustered.

He clears his throat awkwardly before shoving Chin-Hwa aside and cautiously opening the door, peeking his head out to ensure that the coast is clear and then walking out slowly, Chin-Hwa on his trail. They come to a stop in front of the phone, exchanging a nervous look. Jun-Ho hesitates briefly before reaching for the phone and putting the receiver to his ear.

"What is it?"

"It's just a dial tone," Jun-Ho answers. "I'm gonna..." he doesn't bother to finish the thought as he dials 112 on the phone.

"I don't think they've-"

"Let me try, alright?" Jun-Ho snaps, annoyed when nothing happened after dialing the number. He tries 119 instead, and sighs in frustration when he's met with silence once again. "Fuck," he breathes, returning the receiver to its place.

"Hey, it's alright, you still have your own phone," Chin-Hwa comforts, placing a hand on Jun-Ho's shoulder. "C'mon, I think there's some documents we missed back in the cellar, let's go gather everything we can get."

The two of them spend the next half hour or so in the basement, going through documents, taking pictures or writing down notes (predominantly Jun-Ho) and, occasionally, goofing off and making dirty jokes (one might be able to guess who was responsible for such behavior).

The moment is cut short, however, when they hear the thundering of footsteps down the stairs.

ok gonna go read comments now bye <3