Chapter 16: A Different Approach

Following the distraction caused by Eren's transformation, you, Jean and the others rush to service your equipment before the next phase of the battle began. Just as you finish, Captain Kitz orders the troops to get into position.

As he explained the situation, the soldiers started whispering among themselves, "A plan to recapture Trost? Are you kidding me? As if we have the technology to seal the breach, what are the higher ups thinking? Isn't going in there just suicide? Damn, are they that starved for glory?"

As they muttered to themselves, Dazz voices his concern out loud, "To be forced back into that hell... No, I don't wanna die! Let me just see my family."

Marco warns him, "Hey Dazz, you're being too loud."

"You there! Are you planning to abandon your duty?" One of the captains yell at him.

"Yeah, that's right! There's nothing to gain from this mass suicide mission!" Dazz retaliates, which provokes the captain. Things escalate quickly and they draw their weapons.

You were utterly perplexed by the irony of how brave he was; risking his life by yelling out his opinion against the captains, yet at the same time how cowardly he was at the idea of facing the titans once again. If anything, it was a testament to the kind of fear that titans had instilled on everyone.

Their commotion drives the rest of the troops to question the orders. As they went on muttering among themselves, the Commander arrives and stands on top of the wall. He yells "Attention" at the top of his lungs and everyone instantly turns towards him.

Once he had everyone's attention, he goes on to explain the plan. "The objective of this plan is to seal the breach in the destroyed gate. On my right is Eren Jager. He is the product of a top secret research and has the ability to transform into a titan."

Everyone was shocked as he said that. "Is the commander making absolutely no sense or am I just being stupid?" Connie asks and Ymir tells him to shut up.

Commander Pyxis continues, "In his titan form, he will carry the large boulder in the vicinity and use it to plug the breach. Your duty is to draw the titans near the wall and keep them away from him as he carries it to the gate."

Besides you, Jean, Annie, Reiner and Bertolt, who had seen Eren transform in person, everyone refused to believe it as they argued, "I won't risk my life for a retarded reason like that! What do you think we are? We're not disposable blades, you know! Human weapon, he says. That's obviously a lie."

"They're telling us to die for no reason. I'm out of here!" As a soldier says that and walks away, a considerable number of others follow him and begin deserting.

"I hope you've said your prayers, you traitors! I will hack you down where you stand!" Captain Kitz threatens them with capital punishment, yet no one seemed to care as they had already given up all hope.

As he did that however, Commander Pyxis responds, "No! Those who desert us now will all be pardoned." Captain Kitz looked baffled when he said that.

He continues, "Once a man surrenders to his fear, they're no longer fit for battle. Those who are afraid are free to leave. Those who want their parents, siblings, and loved ones to experience that fear as well may also leave." That last line stuck everyone and reminded them what they were fighting for.

"I can't let that happen... My daughter is my last hope!" Says the soldier who initiated the mass desertion and wills himself to turn around. The others hesitantly follow and turn around one by one, each at their own pace.

The Commander explains, "Think back to four years ago: The plan to recapture Wall Maria. I presume you are all aware without me saying, but the plan itself was a means to get rid of the people that the government could not support."

He goes on to explain how humanity would cause its own end inside the walls from the lack of resources. It was a threat that people like you and Armin have always been conscious of and the same that drove Eren's determination to wipe out the titans.

"That's what awaits us if we fail to protect Wall Rose. I implore you, give your lives here today lest that should happen." With that, the commander manages to motivate all the soldiers and successfully convinced them to come back and join the fight.

You found it particularly interesting to see the stark contrast between the approaches of Captain Kitz and Commander Pyxis. The latter leaves a lasting impression on you and from that moment; you develop an appreciation for using words before violence.

❋❋❋

The elite squads led by captains Jan Dietrich, Rico Brzenska, and Mitabi Jarnach were tasked with guarding Eren as he carries the boulder to seal the breach. Mikasa temporarily joins Captain Jan's squad to stay close to Eren.

You, along with the rest of the troops are assigned to distract the titans and keep them away from Eren and the elite squad. The strategy was to lure them to the wall on the opposite side, as titans are instinctively attracted to large groups of people.

It was Armin who had come up with the plan that made it possible to avoid combat and minimize casualties. By drawing the titans near the walls, the soldiers could instead use the fixed cannons to take them out later in a much more efficient manner.

The troops were once again split into different squads. This time, you were grouped with Sasha, Dazz and two seniors from the Garrison. As Eren and the elite squad headed for the boulder, you and the rest of the troops dive into Trost.

While the bulk of the titans were drawn to the seizable crowd already on the wall, you had to manually lure the ones that were further away. Your squad zips through Trost and reaches the area you were assigned to.

There, you come across a horde of five Titans, and you had to get close to grab their attention. You approach them cautiously and manage get them to follow you as you start heading back towards the wall.

However, on the way, you're caught off guard by a ten meter class abnormal. It jumps out of nowhere and grabs Sasha. She screams for help as the titan was about to eat her alive, but Dazz and the others from your squad hesitate to do anything about it.

"It's too late for her! Besides, we have to carry out our duty and lure those titans to the wall." Says one of the seniors. As they turn around and leave her for dead, you recall what happened to Captain Ludwig and your vow to protect your comrades.

Sasha was already in the titan's mouth, but just a split second before it could bite her, you rush in aiming for the titan's jaw in honor of the late captain. You successfully pull off the maneuver he attempted. With your superior agility, you manage to make the tight turns and precise movements around the titan's arm to reach it and avoid being grabbed.

You slice its jaw, making its mouth drop wide open. Without wasting any time, you quickly grab Sasha and retreat before it could regenerate. The rest of your group were shocked when you join them and together, you manage to lure all six titans to the wall.

You make your way up the wall and breathe a sigh of relief as you successfully complete your assignment with zero casualties in your squad. For a moment, it seemed as if things were finally going according to plan. But just as the thought crossed your mind, you see the red flare!