Chapter 48: Across the Ocean

Four Years pass since the battle with the Marlean warriors.

Having just won the war against the Middle Eastern Federation, you suspect Marley would once again shift their focus on destroying Paradis and decide it was time to move on to the next phase of your plan.

As most of the preparations were complete, a small team comprised of You, Jean, Armin and Rico decide to infiltrate Marley with the help of Hizuru to gather intelligence and lay the groundwork for the Liberation.

As you prepare to board the ship, Annie says, "You're sure didn't forget anything, right? Remember which side you're supposed to wear the armband?"

"Yeah, the left. Are you alright? It's not like you to worry about details like that." You point out.

"Yeah, it's just... you won't be back for two months, right? I like this place but... like you said, it's not the same without you." Annie responds. It'll be the longest you wouldn't see each other since you started dating, so it was to be expected. In fact you were already feeling anxious yourself.

You say, "I wish I could've taken you along, but they'll easily recognize you so it's too risky... Besides, I need someone I can count on while I'm away, so take care of the squad till I get back, alright?"

"Okay, and... be careful out there!" Annie says and kisses you goodbye before you board Hizuru's ship and sail off.

A few hours later,

You left Paradis at dawn and still had a while left till you'd reach the port in Liberio, so you decide to have breakfast on the ship. Jean sits down next to you as you were about to take a bite.

"Here, wanna share?" You offer him a donut.

"You sure? I mean... your girlfriend made those for you, right?" He asks.

You respond, "She made enough to share. Besides, didn't we share an omelet your mom made that one time?"

"That's... different you know." Jean blushes slightly.

You ask, "Huh? What's the difference?"

"Ahemm... It's actually quite alarming that you can't see the difference. Anyway, if you don't mind, I ain't passing out on a chance to eat Annie's cooking. You really scored big time there." Jean responds.

"That, I did. Speaking of which... you might wanna keep your eyes peeled once we get to Liberio. Although you're probably fed up with me bugging you all the time, huh?" you ask.

Jean responds, "Nah... I used to bug you way more than that, so I've had it coming. Besides, it shows that you care so..."

"Dammit Jean, why can't use that smooth talking of yours with the ladies? Even Mikasa ought to find that attractive, you know. You're seriously gonna end up making me fall for you one of these days instead." You comment.

Jean contemplates for a bit and says, "It's not like I'm nervous around her or anything... but it doesn't feel right to bother her when she's just as desperate trying to get that blockhead's attention. I get that it makes no sense, but it just doesn't feel right."

You say, "Hmm... I get it. Sometimes, there isn't an objectively right choice, just do what feels right... Marco told me that you know. If that's how you really feel, then I won't judge. But promise me you'll at least keep an eye out, will you?"

"Fine... I will. But no guarantees, alright?" Jean responds.

Just as you finished the box of donuts over that conversation, the port came into sight. You walk over to see Armin looking really excited to step outside Paradis for the first time, but there was also an air of seriousness around him as he knew the weight of the responsibility that lied on the four of you.