Chapter 38: The First Mission

Two weeks after arriving in Shiganshina,

After polishing up your anti-titan skills and teamwork over the past two weeks, it's finally time for your squad to embark on your first expedition to wipe out the titans in the Southern Quarter of Wall Maria.

Hange joins you as it was your first mission. The goal was to clear out a forest near the mountains close to the wall. If you recall correctly, it was the area Mikasa used to live before her parents were killed by bandits. As you approach the area on horseback, you notice a horde of titans at the foot of the mountain.

"They're blocking the path, Captain! What are we going to do?" Rico points out.

As you didn't have much time to contemplate, it inadvertently became a test of your skills in decision making and quick judgment. There were no trees to use ODM gear at the foot of the mountain, so you decide it was best to let Annie handle it.

Seeing how she had already transformed, you climb onto her using your ODM gear and explain the plan. Just before getting off her shoulder, you reach over and kiss the titan on her cheek saying, "Be careful Annie!"

Considering how Hange probably joined you hoping to study the Female Titan in action, you decide to let her stay behind with Annie. At first, you thought of leaving Nifa along with them— considering how she was probably better at working with Hange. But you realize doing so would nullify the point of her transferring to your squad in the first place.

All things considered, you give the order, "Hange-san! You and Petra stay behind and help Annie take care of the titans here. Rico and Nifa, you're with me! We'll handle the ones inside the forest."

Nifa looked slightly disappointed with your decision as the three of you make your way into the forest. It didn't take long before you came across the first titan inside. Rico was quick to react as she hooks onto a tree behind the titan and reels herself past its head faster than it could react.

As her feet made contact with the trunk, she kicks back with a quick burst of pressure from her ODM gear and slices the titan's nape from behind. You were beyond impressed as it was a relatively advanced technique you had developed.

Rico was able to pull it off after just two weeks of training, reminding you that she was indeed an elite among elites. She had improved a lot since the Trost incident and proceeds to rack in around five kills by herself.

Nifa on the other hand found it a bit more difficult. It wasn't her fault at all though, as she was still handicapped by her injury. She manages to take out two titans, but she couldn't react in time as a twelve meter class grabs her. You immediately swoop in and cut off its fingers to free Nifa from its grip, but the titan immediately attacks you with its other arm.

You weren't able to counter it while carrying Nifa, so you use a quick burst of pressure to dodge it. You lay her down against a tree and zip around back to finish off the titan, which by your own rules didn't count as a kill. You had already taken out eight titans by that point, so you weren't complaining.

You notice Nifa looking somewhat depressed, so you walk over to her and ask, "What's wrong?"

She says, "I... I'm a burden to you, aren't I? I mean... even the captain must've felt like I was—"

"That's not true!" You knew she was talking about Hange as she only used the word 'captain' when referring to her. "Listen... I know for a fact that Hange doesn't think you're a burden at all. She only transferred you because she doesn't want you to get hurt."

"What do you mean?" Nifa asks.

You explain, "I promised Hange-san I'd look out for you till you get better, that's why she transferred you. Oh and, I don't think you're a burden either. What's holding you back is beyond your control! I've got your back, so take as long as you want to recover, alright?"

She contemplates for a bit and responds. "Thank you, I... I'll do my best, Captain!"

You're taken aback by the look on her face as she called you 'Captain' for the first time. It reminded you of how you used to look at Captain Ludwig after he earned your respect.

❋❋❋

After clearing out the titans,

"That's the last one! Shall we head back, Captain?" Rico asks.

"Not yet, there's something I want to do before heading back!" you respond and start looking for Mikasa's old house as it was supposed to be somewhere in the forest.

You manage to locate it and go inside to see if there was anything you could bring back as a souvenir. Sure enough, you find two pieces of fabrics that had some embroidery on them. One of them looked slightly more professional than the other. You decide to take them with you as a gift for Mikasa.

She was still on edge around you and Annie, so you thought you'd better put an effort to earn her trust. Although, you weren't really sure if it'd work at all as Mikasa and Annie have had beef with each other even before finding out how Annie was a titan.

Having retrieved what you were looking for, you head to the rendezvous point to meet up with the others before heading back. Annie quietly approaches you from behind and kisses you on your cheek.

"What did I do to deserve that?" you ask as you were pleasantly surprised.

"What you did before we split up... you did it when we were training as well." She says.

You respond, "Hmm... I've still got no clue what you're referring to."

Annie explains, "You kissed me while I was in my titan form. It made me really happy for some reason... I think it's because it reminded me of how you accepted me even when I was at my worst."

Although you did it naturally without thinking much, Annie must've appreciated it as she was still slightly anxious about how everyone felt about her being a titan.

"Is that so? Maybe I should kiss you more often then. I mean... the Female Titan is quite literally HOT you know." You comment.

"I know, right? I want to kiss her too! LET ME!!!" A wild Hange appears from out of nowhere and corroborates. While it killed the mood, you didn't mind as it made Annie realize how she was accepted by the others as well. After wrapping things up, you head back to the HQ.

Two days later,

You and Annie spent the past two days helping Hange with her research. Having finished gathering the information she needed, she packs up and returns to Klorva that evening. Not long after Hange left, the Levi' Squad arrives at your HQ. You were expecting them as they were supposed to join you on the next expedition.

You approach Mikasa and hand her the souvenir you had retrieved from her old house. You made sure to let Annie know what you were doing beforehand, as you didn't want to ignite a civil war. To your surprise though, she even agreed to tag along saying how she too was determined to make an effort to at least try and bury the hatchet with Mikasa.

While it didn't end their rivalry, it seemed to have taken the edge off. You confirmed it when Mikasa's threatening demeanor eases off a bit and takes on a slightly less hostile mood as she explains what the embroidery was.

"It's a traditional design passed down in my family. My mother made that one, that's why it looks better. This one was my first attempt." She explains.

As she said that, You and Annie apologize for all the trouble the two of you caused Eren and took a step in the direction towards making up with Mikasa.