Chapter 43: The Inevitable Fate

The next morning,

you wake up on Annie's lap. You kiss her and thank her for looking out for you as you definitely felt a little better thanks to her. As you get up, you hear someone knock on the door.

Hange walks in and informs you that Bertolt had regained consciousness. You and Annie rush over to where he was to talk to him. Bertolt looked terrified, as he must have been under the impression that he was about to get eaten, but instead he's greeted by Annie.

His eyes widen as he sees her. He says, "Annie? W-what are you doing here? We thought you were..."

"I'm not dead, sheesh... you really think I'd be that easy to get rid of? Anyway... I'm alive because of him." Annie points at you. "He saved me before the scouts captured me and... why don't you explain the rest?" She asks you.

You proceed to explain your plan to liberate the Eldians in the internment zone. "That's how it is... so, what's it gonna be?" You offer to spare his life and let him join your squad.

"Are you serious? I mean... I almost killed you back there." Bertolt expresses his guilt.

You explain, "I overheard your conversation behind the camp that night. The guilt I felt from you when you spoke about the man who hanged himself... it was genuine right? I know you've been suffering and I believe you deserve a second chance."

Bertolt tells you about how he and Reiner based their aliases on the old man's story and how it constantly reminded him of the horrible things he did. He then asks, "I know I'm in no position to be making demands but... can you do me a favor?"

"What is it?" you ask.

"Please save Reiner! Out of all three of us... he's suffered the most. He kept pushing forward nonetheless because he promised to fill Marcel's shoes, but it's sure to have taken a toll on him." He explains.

You respond, "Of course Bertolt, I promise... I'll save Reiner! He did save my ass twice so I owe him either way."

"Th-thank you..." he says and agrees to support your cause.

You could see that he was somewhat disappointed to hear that Annie was with you now, but the way he accepted it and moved on really earned your respect. You welcome him into your squad and introduce him to Rico, Petra and Nifa.

Afterwards, you, Hange and Levi head off to the Capital to report everything to the council. Queen Historia, Primer Zacchary and the two commanders were present. You explain everything that went down during your battle with the Marlean warriors.

Despite the devastating losses you suffered, the overall battle was a victory, as you defeated them and even captured Bertolt alive. All things considered, they make Hange's position as Commander of the Survey Corps official and approve Bertolt's reinstatement into the Survey Corps.

Once the formalities were complete, you return to Shiganshina to join your squad and resume your expeditions to reclaim Wall Maria as usual.

❋❋❋

About a week later,

Upon returning from an expedition, you receive news that Eren had some information he wanted to share with you. It was Bertolt's first mission with your squad, so you have a discussion over dinner and Bertolt shares his story before wrapping things up for the day. Early next morning, you and Annie set off to Karanese to meet Eren.

There, Eren explains how had visions of the Attack Titan's memories of his father and Eren Kruger, the Eldian informant who previously held the titan. Eren learns more about their lives and provides valuable insight regarding their failed Restorationist movement in Liberio in addition to what you read in Dr. Jager's books. It helped you structure your plan to avoid making the same mistakes they did.

Afterwards, Eren informs you about the curse of Ymir, which limited the lives of titan shifters to thirteen years after receiving the titan and how he had eight years left to live. It came out of nowhere. Annie hadn't mentioned it for some reason and you were shocked when you realize that it applied to her as well.

Annie too was visibly concerned when he mentioned it. After the conversation with Eren, you take her to the side and ask, "Does this mean your lifespan is limited as well?"

"Yes... I received my titan when I was nine, so I've got six years left." She looked really stressed out saying that.

Hearing that evoked an immense feeling of emptiness and despair which probably showed on your face as Annie anxiously explains, "I'm sorry... I was going to tell you sooner, but I kept remembering how you've always lost the things you love and how happy you looked when I promised nothing would change my mind about being with you. I just... I didn't want to take that away from you by bringing it up."

You couldn't respond as it was a lot to take in. Annie looked increasingly worried as the two of you return to Shiganshina and make your way to the HQ, without having spoken a single word since learning about the curse.

The others also notice you acting weired as Nifa asks, "What happened? Did you two get into a fight or something?"

"No..." you respond and head upstairs.

Later that evening,

After taking some time to reflect on it, you ask Annie to meet you at the roof of the HQ. It wasn't the most romantic location for a date, but it held sentimental value, as it's where you confessed to each other.

You say, "I'm sorry if I made you worry back there, I just needed some time to let it sink in."

Annie responds, "N-no, I'm the one who should be apologizing..."

"It's not like that. I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong impression Annie. I wasn't offended or anything. In fact, I think what you did was really thoughtful and I appreciate it. But hearing that you only have a few years left to live really threw me for a loop and I couldn't bring myself to face you." You clarify.

"Why not?" Annie asks. Annie had been anxious the whole day, but her tensions begin to ease as you clarify how you felt.

You elaborate, "I just... I felt powerless when I realized there was nothing I could do about it. I was disappointed with myself and it made me feel like everything I've been doing till this point was in vain."

"What do you mean in vain?" Annie was confused as she points out, " I mean... did you hear how they're expecting to settle the refugees back in the outer districts next year? The progress you're making is giving them them hope, so—"

"That's not the point! I mean... I'm glad they're doing well and all, but that's not what I worked my ass off for. It was right here... when you kissed me that day. I determined to myself that I'd make sure you wouldn't have to suffer anymore. Everything I've been doing since then was for you to have a better life, so being told that you wouldn't be around to actually live it even if I succeed brought all my aspirations to question." You explain.

Annie was speechless hearing that. After thinking for a bit, she says, "I... I don't know what to say. But for what it's worth, I'm here right now and you've already made life so much better for me. Of course I'd like to see my father again, but just the fact that you're doing everything you can to make that happen in and of itself makes me feel content."

You continue, "You're right. After thinking it over, I realized there's no point worrying about something that hasn't even happened yet. You're here right now and thats what matters. I promise... no matter what happens, I'll be by your side till the last second. I'll do everything I can to make sure all your dreams are fulfilled before that happens."

She kisses you while desperately trying to hold back her tears. "For a minute there... I thought for sure you were mad at me. But I guess I'll never be able to predict what goes on inside that mind of yours. Honestly... you're too selfless for your own good. But after all that... I can't even make it up to you. I—"

"It's not your fault Annie, it's just how it is, isn't it? Come here..." you say and wrap your arms around her. You hold her tight against your chest to keep her warm as you leaned against the cold railing.