Chapter 55: The New Home

The ships arrive safely on Paradis, where Queen Historia had arranged a gathering to welcome the new citizens to the island. Within a few weeks, the government manages to settle all the people from Liberio in the towns they had built over the past three years.

As always, victory came at a significant cost as you suffered nearly three hundred casualties in the military and had even more soldiers injured. But thanks to their sacrifice, the people have peace in their grasp for the first time since coming to Paradis a century ago.

As for the rest of the Eldians from around the world, some countries supported your unification and even took the responsibility of transporting them to Paradis themselves while others insisted on having them stay and agreed on a compromise.

Their logic was that by having your people reside in their land, it would dissuade Paradis from potentially using the Rumbling in the future as you couldn't risk killing your own people in the process. In exchange, they got rid of the internment zones and accepted Eldians into society.

They even went to the lengths of swaying public opinion on Eldians by publishing articles on how the Eldian Oppression in and of itself was a ploy that Marley used to manipulate the other nations for their personal gain.

With the majority of the Eldians reunited, Paradis was renamed "New Eldia" and Shiganshina became its capital as it was positioned right at the center between the Walls and the outer settlements to the south.

With the nation moving forward, Historia put an end to the monarchy and stepped down as queen. However, she was adored by the people and they immediately elected her back as the first democratic president of New Eldia.

About a month after the war with Marley, the ambassadors from the other nations arrived at the capital where you signed a peace treaty in which you would agree to contain the power of titans within the borders of New Eldia and keep the rest of the world safe from it.

This meant that New Eldia could freely use the titans within their land, but could not take them outside. In the event a titan shifter had to attend a function outside, they would have to remain in human form at all times and any attempt at transforming would be a breach of the agreement.

Several sanctions were enforced on Marley that prevented them from starting any more wars in the foreseeable future, at least. Despite all the trouble he caused you, Magath earned your respect as a result of his open-minded nature. You keep an eye on him as you believed he was the key to a future alliance with Marley.

You convinced the alliance to grant independence to the countries that were colonized by Marley over the past century and fulfill your Promise to Onyankopon and the other Volunteer Soldiers who supported you.

The captured titans were dealt with in different ways. Reiner and Pieck manage to convince Porco to join you. Lara Tybur was imprisoned along with the rest of her family, except for Willy Tybur's wife. She was allowed to stay within their new residence in Mitras under surveillance and take care of the family's children, who had nothing to do with their politics.

Considering how Zeke's term was near its end, the government fed him to Falco, who was a candidate willing to become a titan. You tried to talk him out of it as you didn't want him to have his lifespan shortened like Annie and the others. But eventually you give in out of respect and let him decide it for himself.

Everyone gathered as Zeke was fed to Falco who's beast titan resembled a bird and had wings. He becomes one of the few titans in history capable of flight. Seeing Zeke get eaten, you get a cold sensation in your stomach realizing how Annie would be in the same position a little over two years from now.

Annie, Reiner, Bertolt and Pieck had about two years and eight months left in their terms and settled down to live them out peacefully before passing down their titans. Eren and Porco had a bit longer as they received their titans after them.

Reiner joined the President's personal guard to stay close to Historia while Bertolt and Porco went to live with their families. Annie retired from the military and settled down with you and the two of you bought a house in the outskirts of Shiganshina with the money the two of you had saved up. Mr. Leonhardt also lived close by and would often visit for dinner.

Jean finally got over his feelings for Mikasa and started seeing Pieck, who had grown to like him after fighting together in Marley. Although when you think about it, you couldn't really say for sure, as Pieck did resemble Mikasa a little. In fact, her hair looked exactly like Mikasa's did before Eren made her cut it.

With Hange becoming the head of research and Levi being forced to retire due to his injuries, Armin became the new Commander of the Survey Corps. Not long after, you put out a good word for Rico and she was chosen to become the new Commander of the Garrison following Pyxis' retirement.

As for the rest of your squad, Nifa volunteered to be the right hand woman for Hange, filling the shoes Moblit once did and Petra moves onto look after a disabled Levi. You took on a more diplomatic role and worked towards preserving the peace that everyone worked so hard to achieve for as long as you could.

❋❋❋

After things had settled down, Annie takes you to the roof of the HQ.

"So this is it, huh?" She asks you.

"What do you mean?" You ask for clarification.

"You did exactly what you set out to do. So, do you feel accomplished?" She asks you.

You respond, "Of course I do. Is that what you wanted to talk about?"

"Not exactly... umm, you know I've got just over two years left, right?" She reminds you.

You answer, "Yeah... why bring that up now?"

Annie expresses her concern. "Are you sure it's okay like this? I mean... you're gonna be alone once again, right? I just... It's okay to move on, you know. You don't have to insist holding onto me."

The look on her face made it clear she didn't want to say that. You figure she must've willed herself to prioritize your future over her own feelings.

You explain, "I don't want to. I love you Annie, there's no way I can move on from that. Besides, I won't be completely alone. I'll still have dad, Jean and the rest of our friends."

"But what about the 'home' you spoke of? Won't you lose that when I'm gone?" She asks.

You answer, "Well... that's something I planned to talk about later, but I guess I'll just say it now. Umm... I think I know a way to make it last, and it doesn't involve having to move on."

The look on Annie's face as you explained your idea was the happiest expression you've ever seen on a human being. She immediately kisses you; unable to contain her feelings.

 She immediately kisses you; unable to contain her feelings

Two years later in Shiganshina; the capital of New Eldia,

After a day of hard work, you return home early. As you walk through the door, you find Annie breastfeeding your child. As you take a moment to appreciate the most beautiful sight you've ever seen, you feel something tight in your chest as tears start pouring down your face. You're conflicted as you question yourself if they're tears of joy or sorrow.