Epilogue - Part 3

Epilogue - Part 3

Assia's so... adorable. And I don't use that word lightly. She looks so fragile that you just want to protect her from all the evils in the world.

"Name?" Atty. asked when Assia volunteered herself for recitation. My eyes widened a bit. I never volunteered for recitation because there's the implication that I was prepared and truth be told, I would never be prepared enough to volunteer. All my recitations are involuntary—and against my will, to be completely fucking honest.

"dela Serna po," she replied and proceeded to reciting a case. My heart was pounding dangerously inside my chest. Fuck. I didn't even read that whole case because it was freaking long! I can fall asleep just by thinking about it. I just read the digested version and honestly, hoped for the best.

Que sera sera, motherfuckers.

"That will do," Atty. Plaridel said after Assia recited the case flawlessly. "Any more volunteer?" he asked. I looked around, wishing for someone else to volunteer because that would mean lesser chance for me to be called... but I never expected for Sancho to raise his hand. "Last name?"

"Cantavieja, Sir," he replied while he was standing.

"Why are you all volunteering?" I whispered to Assia. "What the fuck is wrong with the two of you?"

"Baka kasi matawag si Vito kapag nagshuffle," she replied.

My lips parted. "Ah, shit. Do I need to volunteer, too?" I asked.

"Nag-aral ka naman... 'di ba?"

"Yeah... but I didn't read the fucking cases. They're so long."

"Kaya nga binigay 'yung cases kasi kailangang basahin. 'Di naman binigay sa 'tin 'yan for fun."

"Whatever, sister Assia," I said as I was already looking for the cases that weren't discussed yet. I said a little prayer before I began because to be honest, I was quite sure that I wouldn't retain half the shit I was reading. But thankfully, the prof just grilled Sancho. I was saved!

"Aren't you worried that he'll fail you?" I asked after we were dismissed. After Sancho's recitation, I was worried for a few seconds because I thought I would need to volunteer, but thankfully, Atty. Plaridel began his sermon about how we should be the 'good' kind of lawyers. I just nodded along. I have no plans on being anything yet. I was seriously just here because of fomo. When asked in class as to why I want to become a lawyer, I just say that it's a lifelong dream—better answer that the truth of me being peer-pressured into enrolling.

"Fail me?"

"Yeah. You basically debated with him."

"I don't think so," he said. "Or his ego must be so fragile if he'll fail me just because I questioned some of the things he pointed out."

After that, Sancho headed to his car while Assia rode in mine. She was quiet the whole time, but also, she seemed anxious.

"Matagal bang tahiin iyong sugat?" she asked.

"I think it depends on the cut," I replied. She just nodded but when I looked at the rearview mirror, I saw her sighing.

Okay.

She likes Vito.

And Vito obviously likes her.

This shit is entertaining.

When we arrived at the hospital, we saw Vito wandering around. I let Assia walk towards him. Now that I knew that the feeling's mutual, they're more entertaining to look at—it's like a 'will they, won't they' situation.