XXXIII. Till Death Do Us Part

CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE

BLACK AND WHITE — NIALL HORAN Swear in front of all our friendsThere'll never be anotherI promise that I'll love you for the rest of my life

Swear in front of all our friends
There'll never be another
I promise that I'll love you for the rest of my life

"WHAT?"

Did she hear him correctly?

When he met her shocked expression with a cheeky grin, she knew that she heard him perfectly clear. "JJ," she started, shaking her head, "we can't get married."

"Why not?" he challenged. His smile had yet to fade, even despite being faced with rejection. "John B and Sarah did."

Stella took a step back. She knew that John B and Sarah's wedding was far from legal, but the weight of their promise to each other was still there. They were married in their hearts if not on paper.

If it were three weeks ago, Stella would've happily agreed to the proposal. After watching her parents' marriage fall apart, she decided at a young age that she only wanted to get married once and make it last. At the time, JJ was the one she wanted to do that with. They were young, but he was her person and she knew that he'd always be there for her... Until their best friend 'died' and he wasn't.

"I don't know..." Stella trailed off, wringing her hands. Her gaze fell, not wanting to see the disappointment on JJ's face. "We just got back together. I don't even fully forgive you yet."

JJ's grin softened and he let out a gentle breath. Stepping forward to close the gap between them, he took Stella's hands in his. His fingers felt the cool metal of an unfamiliar piece of jewelry, and when he looked down, he was met with the sight of her purple amethyst ring. Hm, he thought to himself. Pretty.

Then he met Stella's gaze and squeezed her hands reassuringly. "This is step one," he stated, knowing that her trust in him had faltered. "I know you deserve to do it the right way with diamond rings and a dress and a preacher or something. But we have a Pope! That has to count for something, right?"

His little quip earned a small laugh from the girl because she didn't think it worked like that, but she continued to listen anyways.

"We can do it the right way when we're older," JJ promised. There was traces of excitement in his voice. "But I've gotta prove it to you. So let me prove it."

"I..."

He could see the struggle in her eyes and the silent debate of wanting something she was scared to have. He was the reason for it and he hated it. But as he promised, he'd spend the rest of his life proving how sorry he was, and that was a promise he intended to keep.

Before Stella could find the words to say, JJ let go of her hands and walked over to one of the drawers of the kitchen. He rummaged through it with furrowed brows before turning to her with a triumphant smile. In his hands was a blue post-it notepad and a pen.