II. Be More Careful

CHAPTER TWO

HOME — ONE DIRECTIONWhen you're lost, I'll find a way, I'll be your lightYou'll never feel like you're aloneI'll make this feel like home

When you're lost, I'll find a way, I'll be your light
You'll never feel like you're alone
I'll make this feel like home

"POPE, CAN YOU get this please?" Stella asked, holding out a bowl of lettuce.

After their quick getaway, the five teens picked up extra taco shells and headed to the Marx estate. When they entered the spotless kitchen, they quickly fell into the familiar meal prep routine that had been established since childhood. It wasn't usual for the group to spend evenings at Stella's house. Her mother invited them over for dinner all the time—so often that they each had their own unofficially assigned seat at the table.

The group was spread out around the room and one of Kie's playlist played on the bluetooth speaker that sat on the dining table. John B, Kie, and Pope were in charge chopping the vegetables while Stella was in charge of the stove. JJ was also assigned a task, but he had abandoned the cheese he was meant to be grating in favour of bothering Stella.

The other three watched from the dining table as JJ hoisted himself up onto the counter next to the stove and said something to make Stella laugh.

"Do you think they've told each other yet?" Pope questioned in a hushed tone as he placed the bowl Stella had handed him on the table.

"Nah," John B answered with the shake of his head, "we'd know if they did."

"I wish they would stop being so stubborn and see that they have feelings for each other," Pope complained, causing the others to nod in agreement. "They already act like they're dating. I mean, look at them."

The three looked into the kitchen just as JJ tucked a piece of Stella's hair behind her ear.

Kie observed her two friends and softly smiled.

They were good for each other, they always have been. They balanced each other out perfectly. Where JJ was reckless and impulsive, Stella was careful and cautious. When Stella lost in her head, drowning in doubts, JJ was there to pull her back and vice versa. They listened to one another and understood each other in a way that the others never could. They pushed each other to be the best version of themselves, and the way they cared for one another was so pure that it put any example of a healthy relationship to shame and the two teens weren't even dating yet.

"They'll be together by the end of the summer," Kie decided, turning her gaze to the tomatoes she was cutting.

John B and Pope shared a look and immediately began to place bets on when their oblivious friends would finally come to their senses.

Blissfully unaware of the conversation happening at the dining table, Stella pointed at a cabinet above JJ's head and asked if he could pass her a plate.