LI. The Heist

CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE

RECKLESS DRIVING — LIZZY McALPINEDon't wanna scrape you off the pavementI can't be your saviourI don't wanna be here when you lose control

Don't wanna scrape you off the pavement
I can't be your saviour
I don't wanna be here when you lose control

STELLA HELD A lot of pride for her friends. They were smart, funny, and kind. They loved each other like family and if it came down to it, they would go to war for each other. In a sense, they already did. Having people who would throw their lives away in the name of loyalty was rare. Some would call it being a good friend while others would call it stupidity. Stella would claim it was a little bit of both, just a sliding spectrum of give and take. But above all, her friends were good people.

Most would argue that good people don't lead others on to get what they want, especially if that person was known to have feelings for them in the past. According to the Pogues, good people did it all the time for reasons greater than themselves. Take Stella for example: She played Rafe like a violin to escape Singh's mansion and she was the best of them.

On the ferry to the mainland, the group of Pogues ran into their first problem—they didn't have a way of transporting the cross. Luckily, the universe decided to bless (or torture, they weren't sure) them with the presence of Topper Thornton. The Kook's family were known to drive large vehicles like hefty SUVs and lifted pick-up trucks, so the chances that Topper brought one with him were high. The real challenge was getting him to help.

Enter Sarah Cameron.

Sarah didn't want to play with his feelings at first. She protested against her friends who urged her on, knowing that Topper would do anything she asked. "You have him whipped anyways," JJ told her. "Take one for the team."

She tried to use her relationship with John B as a defence but it was a weak argument. Eventually, she caved in and dragged her feet to where Topper stood. She plays with his emotions, eyes guilty but determined, and managed to convince him to let them use his dad's truck. Stella had never been more proud of the former Kook.

Currently, the Pogues were standing on top of a stopped train car. They were in some train yard trying to locate the car with the cross in it. It was dark, so they had some trouble and their bickering filled the air.

"News flash," Kie began, looking around at the crowded yard. There had to be at least fifteen cargo trains in front of them. "We're not getting out of here unnoticed with a giant cross."

Beside her, Pope placed his hands on his hips. "We won't have to," he replied. "We can nab it somewhere further in the country. Just gotta figure out how to stop the train."

"Leave that to me," JJ grinned. Mischief swam in his eyes, twinkling as the moonlight hit them. Every now and then, he held information that would help them. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, but it always came as a shock.