L. Therapy is a Good Thing!

CHAPTER FIFTY

OMW — ASHE Life is a bitch, everybody's invited!

OMW — ASHE
Life is a bitch, everybody's invited!

JJ LIKED PEACEFUL mornings. He liked sleeping next to Stella underneath toasty blankets and waking up on his own time without any blaring alarm to ruin his mood. After six weeks of sleeping on a woven mat, the only thing he wanted was for his first night in a real bed to end with a peaceful morning. Instead, he was startled by Sarah trying to shake Stella awake.

"Dude, what are you doing?" He groaned, his voice still thick with sleep.

Sarah's brows furrowed. "What does it look like I'm doing? I'm trying to wake her up. We're supposed to meet Kie and Cleo for breakfast."

"It's too early for this." He rubbed his eyes, careful not to move the arm stuck between Stella and the bed. "And keep your voice down, you'll wake her."

"That's the whole point," she argued, kneeling by Stella's side of the bed. "Star, get up."

"Sarah—"

The blonde looked up like she just remembered something. "Oh, and I'm calling a meeting at the Chateau later. It's important."

JJ ran a hand over his face and let out a sigh. "Will you leave if I say okay?"

"No. Stella still has to get up."

"She's tired, let her sleep."

"Psst, Star!"

"Oh, my god. Stop it."

Sarah shook her head. "We're going to be late," she persisted. "You know how Kie gets when we're late."

He tried to fight her on it, he really did. He told her to leave Stella alone again and to get out of their bedroom, wrapping his other arm around the sleeping beauty before smacking the blonde's hand away. But Sarah pointed out that it was actually Stella's room and that Emma wouldn't approve of him sneaking into it after establishing new house rules the evening before.

Eventually, their bickering woke Stella up and they were forced to stop under her glare.

After the girls left, JJ didn't know what to do with himself. The only other person in the house was Emma and she was still asleep, so everything was quiet. His footsteps echoed as he descended the staircase and the glass of water he poured sounded like a gong when he placed it on the kitchen counter.

To him, quiet and peaceful were far from synonymous. Peaceful was safe and comforting, quiet was the calm before a storm.

He was never a fan of being alone when it was quiet. His thoughts were like vultures, circling around his head while his self confidence rotted away. He could hear their wings flapping the longer he remained unproductive. A distraction was needed and anything would help.