XXII. The Web Unravels

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

ROLLING IN THE DEEP — ADELEThe scars of your love remind me of usThey keep me thinking that we almost had it all

The scars of your love remind me of us
They keep me thinking that we almost had it all

STELLA MADE JJ leave early in the morning, instructing him to head back to the Chateau in case John B returned home. He gladly went, as he was also worried about his best friend, leaving his girl with a kiss on the cheek.

Once JJ vacated the premises, Stella left her room in search of her mother. They had gotten in late last night and Emma was asleep. As much as Stella wanted to wake her up, she decided against it, settling to wait until the sun came up.

When Stella found her mother, she was met with an unexpected sight. Her mother was sitting at the kitchen island with her cell phone in front of her, staring at the wall like she had just seen a ghost.

"Mom," Stella started in caution, walking closer to the woman. She wondered what it was that could have her mother so spooked. Maybe one of her patients passed away. "What's wrong?"

Emma jumped at the sound of her daughter's voice. Shaken from her thoughts, her gaze left the wall and she faced Stella with a smile. It was forced, not quite reaching her eyes. "The cell towers are back up on Figure Eight," she said, standing up from the barstool she was sitting on.

Stella's eyes followed her figure as she moved from the island to the stove. Her head tilted in confusion at her sudden switch in mood. "Did you get a call?"

Emma turned and the second her eyes met Stella's she let out a sigh. She couldn't keep this from her. "Why don't we sit down?" she suggested, pointing to the barstools by the island.

The young girl fiddled with the ring hanging from her neck and made her way over to the counter. Something was definitely wrong and her mother's tone of voice only solidified that. She was speaking to her in the same tone she spoke in when she had to tell someone their loved one died. "Mom, what's going on?"

Emma sat beside her and reached for her hand. "Early this morning, your father was admitted into the hospital."

"Why?" Stella questioned, a minuscule part of her still caring about him despite claiming to hate every fibre of his being. "Was it drugs or something? Alcohol poisoning?"

Emma shook her head. "He came in with a head trauma and lacerations all over his body. He was rushed into surgery," she continued, sticking to the rules of breaking bad news. Be straightforward, answer questions, be honest. "He made it through, but it was touch and go for a while."

Stella studied her face. She felt like there was more to what her mother was telling her. "Okay... and?"

"I got a call from Dr. Thornton saying he woke up and that he's conscious, but—" Emma took a deep breath, "he has retrograde amnesia. He doesn't remember the past six years."