XLVIII. I'll Crawl Home to Her

CHAPTER FORTY-EIGHT

WORK SONG — HOZIERNo grave can hold my body downI'll crawl home to her

WORK SONG — HOZIER
No grave can hold my body down
I'll crawl home to her

JJ WAS CONVINCED that him and Stella shared a brain.

Everything good—the common sense, the analytical skills, the seemingly photographic memory, and the ability to do mental math—belonged to her. She had everything that made her an upstanding citizen in the eyes of society and talents that would have made his life easier if he possessed them. But that wasn't to say one was better than the other. Where she thrived in academia, he thrived in practicality. His street smarts were just as valuable, and what they lacked through their differences, they made up for in their similarities. They were both quick-witted. They were observant, clever, and resourceful. Both of them could handle any situation that was thrown at them—any situation so long as the other was safe, that was.

Whenever one was in trouble, the other just knew. It was like they had a sixth sense for recognizing when something wasn't right. A feeling so deep in their bones that it had to he true. Even if they had no idea that the other was struggling, their minds couldn't rest. They were that attuned with each other.

The thought of Stella being trapped in Singh's house with Rafe Cameron was unsettling, and while his friends slept around the stable, JJ couldn't find it in himself to do the same. His mind wouldn't allow him to rest. He was worried, and waiting for Stella's signal was making him go crazy.

His eyes were closed and his head rested against John B's leg. Pretending to be asleep was the closest he could get to the real thing. Across from him, Kie was slumped next to Cleo, the two of them leaning against each other as they napped.

There was a short ringtone that sounded, and JJ's eyes opened instantly. His gaze landed on Kie, whose phone was resting on her lap, and he nudged her with his foot. "Kie, wake up. You got something."

Kie's brows furrowed before she opened her eyes and lifted her head. She must've been moving too slowly for the boy's liking because he nudged her again, this time harder.

"Hurry," he rushed.

After sending him a glare, she checked Bailey's phone and her mouth fell open. "Hey, guys," she said, shaking Cleo and Pope awake. "Wake up."

With his eyes still on Kie, JJ shook John B awake and pulled on Sarah's hair. "What? What is it? Is it Stella?" Portis' phone, which he had been clutching in his hand the entire time, buzzed just as the words left his mouth. "Oh, shit, I got something too. Guys, wake up! Guys! We got something!"

There were murmurs and mumbles as the others slowly woke up, but once they realized what was going on, their faces lit up with energy.

John B leaned forward to read the text over JJ's shoulder. It was a group chat with Portis, Bailey, and some guy named Fenton. Attached was a link to a location not too far away from them. "Meet me at the pin at 6:15," he read, "P4L."