XXXIV. Maximum Sentence

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

CLOUDS — ONE DIRECTIONHere we go againAnother go-round for all of my friendsAnother non-stop, will it ever end?

Here we go again
Another go-round for all of my friends
Another non-stop, will it ever end?

STELLA WOKE UP at the crack of dawn, her side throbbing in pain. The events of the night before rushed to the forefront of her mind and a sigh fell from her lips. There was a long list of things she wished to accomplish in life, but getting shot was not one of them. Even if it gave her the best sleep she's had in weeks.

The golden morning light streamed through the cracks in the blinds, illuminating the air around her. With a groan, she brought her hands up and ran them over her face. "My body feels like it's on fire."

JJ hummed. "Still think seducing Rafe was a good idea?"

"I'd rather him shoot me than hear you say 'I told you so'."

Tilting her head to look at the boy next to her, she saw that he was already staring at her—if you could even call it that. His eyes were half closed, and he looked like he was fighting the idea of sleep with every breath he took.

The corners of his lips quirked upwards and he tucked an arm behind his head. "Well, if he did, I would've gotten a big fat life insurance check, Mrs. Maybank."

"Nothing about last night that was legal, J. Keep dreaming." Her tired eyes studied the shadowed circles forming under his own and she raised a brow. "You look like shit."

"Really?" He drawled, eyes rolling, "'Cause I feel great."

His sarcasm caused small chuckle to fall from her lips and pain spread through her left side.

As if he was anticipating her sharp intake of breath, JJ reached over and handed her an open bottle of water paired with two painkillers from the bedside table.

With his help, Stella sat up. She paused and stared at him. It wasn't a secret that JJ was attractive. He knew it, she knew it, the whole island knew it. He was cut clean from a dream and stole from any romance movie set by the ocean. He was beautiful, but with his puffy eyes and shaky hands, he really did look like shit right now.

She swallowed the pills and chased it with a substantial amount of guilt. She couldn't help but feel bad. She wasn't oblivious to his protective nature and the way he'd hover around her when he thought she could be in danger. He cared a lot and which was why he made her promise—pinky promise, actually—to be more careful. Last night, JJ and their friends lost sleep over something that could've been avoided if she had been just a bit quicker. And for that, she felt a clump of regret lodge itself at the back of her throat.

"I'm sorry."

JJ furrowed his brows. "For what?"

The familiar sinking feeling pulled at her chest and she shrugged. "Not being careful enough."