XXIII. Snitches End Up in Ditches

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

READY TO RUN — ONE DIRECTIONThere's a lightning in your eyes I can't denyThen there's me inside a sinking boat, running out of timeWithout you, I'll never make it out alive

There's a lightning in your eyes I can't deny
Then there's me inside a sinking boat, running out of time
Without you, I'll never make it out alive

JJ MAYBANK LIVED his life by one philosophy—Stupid things had good outcomes all the time.

This philosophy got him into trouble more times than he could count, but it was also the philosophy that led him to meet his girlfriend at ten years old. And while he was a firm believer of this simple reasoning, he didn't think it applied to going to Kildare County Police Station after John B had explained exactly what happened at the airstrip.

"John B, what are we doing here?" The blond asked his best friend, staring at the building with disdain in his eyes. If Rafe Cameron really did kill Sheriff Peterkin, then no one would believe their word over his, even if what they were saying was the truth.

John B shrugged. With all the information he had, he needed to do something. He couldn't let a murderer walk the streets of Kildare, especially when that murderer was the son of the man who killed his father. Not to mention he was also his girlfriend's brother and there was no telling what he'd do to her since she was an eye witness. "Somebody's gotta tell them what happened."

There was a tense silence that blanketed the group as they wondered if this was a good idea. Their thoughts were disrupted when Pope erupted into a series of coughs, smoke from his joint leaving his mouth in a thick cloud.

"Damn. Easy there, chief." JJ patted his shoulder before returning his attention to John B. "Alright, I'm just gonna be real with you right now. You might end up in the lion's den, but you don't go there on purpose. It's fundamental. Just like my old man always told me, you should never ever trust cops, no matter what the circumstance is."

Kie, who was sitting in the driver's seat, turned around with a raised brow. "Your old man's an abusive liar," she deadpanned.

Stella plucked the joint from Pope's fingers and nodded. "True."

"I agree with JJ," Pope said, snatching the joint back before Stella could even lift it t her mouth. "Fuck the police."

Kie let out a scoff. "You going to the dark side now?"

"When's the last time the police helped us?"

John B let out a sigh, stopping whatever tension between the pair from growing. "Peterkin looked out for me, alright?" He turned back to look at the building. "Tried to, at least."

With his mind made up, he went to open the car door, but before he could step out, Stella called out to him.

She bit the inside of her cheek as he turned to her. "When I was at the hospital, I heard Shoupe and Ward talking. I think Ward is trying to pin this on you and if he is, you might not walk out of that building."