XLIX. Reunions

CHAPTER FORTY-NINE

CANYON MOON — HARRY STYLES I'm going home!

I'm going home!

SINCE STARTING THEIR journey back to Kildare, the Pogues had stopped twice to refuel. Once in Saint Lucia and another in Puerto Rico. Island hopping had been surprisingly easy, and each time, the others had left to find food while Stella and JJ were stuck on refuelling duty.

Stella watched as JJ filled the boat with gas, letting her mind wander as her gaze fixated on him. The cell reception was horrible when John B called earlier and static filled the spaces between his words, but him saying 'I found my father' was clear enough. The phone call left her with more questions than answers and she found herself reminiscing about the only father figure she had.

"Do you remember when Big John taught you how to drive?" she asked, breaking the silence between her and the blond.

JJ took her question in stride and nodded with a huff of false annoyance.

As the oldest of the group, Stella made it her mission to learn how to drive first. Even though she was only thirteen at the time, she begged her mother to to teach her. The surgeon told her no and that she could wait until she was sixteen like everyone else her age. But Stella was both impatient and stubborn. When her birthday approached, the only gift she asked for was a driving lesson. This time, instead of asking her mother, she asked Big John who was more than happy to bring her to an empty parking lot to make her happy. Stella always had a tendency of getting what she wanted. And naturally, John B and JJ asked for the same thing for their birthdays. It was only fair.

The day JJ turned fourteen, Big John let him drive his beat up pick-up truck across the island to Stella's new house on Figure Eight. It wasn't the first time he ever drove, but it was the first time an adult cared about what he was doing. Driving his dad's truck in the middle of the night because he was too intoxicated to do it himself was different from learning the rules of the road that would allow him to get a license.

Admittedly, his past experience made him arrogant. He didn't listen to Big John when he corrected him. He turned too fast, hit the breaks too late, was heavy on the gas pedal, and shifted gears too early. Every time Big John said something, John B and Stella teased him from the backseat. The constant corrections paired with their snickering got too overwhelming and he turned to shout at them. The distraction was enough for him to turn the wheel and run over a mailbox. Big John was pissed.

"How could I forget?" JJ said, looking up at her. "He made me detail his truck. The thing was a piece of shit too."

A short laugh fell from Stella's lips before they settled into a small smile. "It's hard to believe he's been alive this whole time. I wonder why he didn't call."

JJ pursed his lips. "I just hope it was for a good reason."

"I guess we'll figure that out when we get home."