XLVI. Star's Self-Sacrifice

CHAPTER FORTY-SIX

DESPERADO — RIHANNAAnd you ain't leaving me behindI know you won't cause we share common interestsYou need me, there ain't no leaving me behind

DESPERADO — RIHANNA
And you ain't leaving me behind
I know you won't cause we share common interests
You need me, there ain't no leaving me behind

STELLA FOUND HERSELF staring at the moon a lot in the past few weeks, finding comfort in the fact that it was the same one her loved ones admired. On the deserted island, she would look at it and think of her mother. Tonight, her thoughts belonged to her favourite person.

In some ways, JJ reminded her of the moon. His whole life, he existed in darkness. He kept parts of himself hidden away and many nights, he found himself incomplete. But he was still beautiful. A lifetime of struggle could never dim his light and if Stella was the sun, she would reflect hers onto him until she burned out.

Stella knew he was losing his mind and blaming himself for her being taken, pacing back and forth while rubbing his chest in anxiety.

He worried about her a lot. He always had, even when they were kids. Protection was an amenity to his love and the Pogues were the only family he had left. It was bad enough that Kie was kidnapped, but adding the love of his life to the mix would have sent him over the edge.

Being apart under normal circumstances would have caused discomfort. They were best friends before they were lovers and like any pair of best friends, they rarely spent time apart without keeping in touch. When Stella was busy volunteering at the hospital, she would message JJ between tasks. When he was at work, he would call her on his breaks. When she started hanging out with the Kooks during her first year at the Kook Academy, she still made an effort to see him after school. The longest time they had gone without speaking were the weeks following their break up, but even then, they still responded to the others in their group chat. At least they knew the other was breathing.

JJ had no way of knowing if she was okay. She didn't know if she would be, and that was the scariest part. Stella knew that at any given moment, somebody could walk through the bedroom door and shoot her. Or Kie. Or Rafe. If Singh decided that they had outlived their usefulness, he had no qualms about killing them. He made that clear when he shot Portis on the porch earlier.

There was a real possibility that she might never see her friends or family again. If she died here, her mother might never know. JJ would never recover. He would blame himself until the day he died and no amount of consoling from John B, Sarah, Pope, or Cleo would help. He would have lost one of the only things he had left. He would feel like a failure.

The thought of dying never scared her. It wasn't like she looked for the silence, but she knew that it was the only thing life could guarantee. The moment passed in the form of a bullet and machete pressed to her neck, and each time Stella remained eerily calm. She wasn't scared of dying, but leaving the people she loved behind terrified her.