The Final Chapter (Pt. 2)||

(A/N-- Please don't forget to check out Faking Perfection. It's a new book I'm working on and I'd really love all your support on it!)

**Seven Years Later**

"Reports have just confirmed that, forty-three year old Richard Hastings has been sentenced to forty years in prison for the charges as followed; possession and distribution  of several illegal substances including cocaine and unlicensed firearms sales. He's also been charged with domestic, sexual and emotional abuse, several counts of assault, attempted murder as well as kidnapping."

"Wow, Sherry. Such a criminal record is almost unheard of in such a small town. Bill's been telling me that this story has managed to reach international news headlines. Not to mention, there are whispers of Mr. Hastings involvement with an under-ground trafficking ring. It's said that he will face a sperate trial for that charge."

"It is quite the record, Larry and to imagine that this was really all because of a brave eighteen year old young man who had enough! Truly fascinating."

"Yes! Reports have stated that the young man in question is actually Hastings' own son who he'd blackmailed into working for him. Chief McCarthy has given a full account of the events in his press release earlier this evening - that can be watched on our official website. There are also whispers of  the chief's daughter having been involved romantically with that young man -- her exact involvement in the case has been withheld."

"For more details on this case and other local news, you can visit our website www.GoCrystalGatesNews.org or visit our Facebook page -- GoCrystalGatesNews."

"Right! Thank you folks for tuning in tonight. This is Sherry-Ann Foster reporting alongside Larry Stiles for Go Crystal Gates News. Have a good night."

"How many times are you gonna watch that?" Tessa asks as she saunters into the living room and plants herself unto my lap as she so often does. I smile lightly at her, dropping a sweet kiss unto her cheek as my hands sink down to her stomach like second nature.

"I know it's been years but I just can't help it. It helps me remember that he's never going to come back and that he can't hurt us again," I admit quietly.

Tessa watches me tenderly, the caring look in her eyes causing my heart to skip several beats. You'd think that after all these years together, I'd be accustomed to the way she made me feel-- that I'd be out of that honeymoon phase but it all still felt very much the same. I'm not entirely sure she even knows how much she affects, even with the smallest of things.

It could be her smile, her laugh or just that particular look in her eyes. I either wanted to shower her with love or fuck her relentlessly. There really was no in-between.

"I just think it's a bit unhealthy, babe. You know I still worry about you."

"I'll get rid of the tape eventually but for now, I'd like to keep it. I just like knowing that he's rotting in there."

"I get it," She nods understandingly -- as she always does. "Can we talk about more pressing and less depressing matters now?"

"Hmm," I hum, pressing my lips to hers briefly before pulling away. "You tell me, baby mama." My hands caress her swollen stomach and she chuckles at the nickname.

"Are you scared to tell my parents about the baby?" She asks through a knowing chuckle.

Of course I'm scared! I mean, granted, her parents and I have come a long way through the past few years but our relationship is still a bit rocky, more so on her mother's behalf than her father's. I'd like to think that I'd made it into his good books after aiding him in the bust of a lifetime. He was still snarky when given the chance but I'd say that was only in response to me being a sarcastic asshole, as I'll always be.