Chapter 35||

'Love and trust are one in the same - Anonymous'

"I can't wait to see her!" I beamed as Elijah pulled the car into the hospital parking lot.

"Yeah," Elijah muttered beneath his breath as he put the car in park. I intently  watched as he unclicked his seatbelt, which I had insisted he wore despite his protest. He looked as though he had no intention of moving as his hands gripped the steering wheel, eyes staring straight ahead.

"Eli?" I called softly, my hand coming up to grab his arm gently. "You okay?"

"I don't want to go in there, Tessa. There's been a reason I've been putting this off," Elijah said quietly, head bowed. "If I go in there and I see her, I'm probably gonna break and I can't break because I need to be strong for her."

"Elijah," I began. "You don't have to be strong all the time. It's okay to break down sometimes because it shows you're human and that's all you are. You're not some superhuman that has to take on the weight of the world."

"I know, I know," He sighed heavily. "It's just...I just wish I could take her pain away, you know? She's only eight for God's sake. She doesn't deeseve this."

"No one deserves to go through what she's going through," I said. "It'll be okay. We can wait a bit before we go in if it makes you feel better."

Elijah nodded in response, relaxing against the seat slightly, his face twisting in just a hint of pain as he moved. I'd been meaning to ask him if he'd hurt himself since he'd been making these pained expressions whenever he shifted his shoulder all day.

"You okay?" I asked him in concern.

"Hmm?" He hummed, head shifting to face me.

"You've been wincing all day. Did you hurt yourself or something?" I asked.

"No, I'm fine," He dismissed me but I could sense something a bit off with his tone. Elijah and I had been around eachother long enough for me to know when he was lying and that was exactly what he was doing right now. Before I could call him out however, he pulls the key from the ignition and unlocks his door.

I followed Elijah's actions and exited the car, catching up with his long strides as we head into the hospital together. The few nurses we passed in the hallway gave us warm smiles before we arrived at Emily's room, the door locked. I gripped Elijah's trembling  hand in mine as he let out a shaky breath.

"You'll be okay," I said as I unlocked the door, heading in first. Emily's frail figure lay in the bed which was propped up slightly so she'd be able to catch the show which her eyes were fixated on. One too many tubes and drips were connected to her as she lay quite still, although awake.

"Hey, Emily," I called quietly as I apparoched her. Her head shifted just the slightest bit with a pained groan, my eyes watering at the sound.

"Tessa," She called in quiet excitement, her eyes brightening a bit with a small smile on her face. "You came to see me."

"Of course I did. I've missed you," I said as I took a seat in the space beside her in the bed. My hand reached up to brush against the scarf on her head as I smiled down at her.

"I've missed you too," She said, her eyes then brushing past me and over my shoulder. Her eyes widened as well as her smile. "Eli!"

"Hey, baby," Elijah greeted as he took tentative steps towards her, taking a seat on the opposite side of her. "How's my favourite girl?"

"I'm happy now that you're here," Emily giggled. "Did you bring me anything?"

A cheeky smile plastered on her face as she asked the question. Elijah playfully rolled his eyes, retrieving the small chocolate bar from his pocket as he placed it in her palm, enclosing her fingers around it.