Chapter 33||

'Love is not just a feeling. It's a commitment and above all, a sacrifice-- Anonymous'

*Long Chapter Ahead*

Elijah's hand clasped mine tightly as he angrily dragged me through the crowded party. His harsh glare warded off anyone in our path to get out of the way, not that he'd have any trouble anyway. I knew he didn't want to be here and I certainly knew that he didn't want to bring me along with him either but I'd practically begged him for us to attend, needing some sort of normalcy to our intense lives.

It felt like we were stuck in some kind of teenage romance fiction book if I'm being quite honest. From the accident to Emily and Elijah's father who he refuses to talk about. It was all just weighing too much on us and I decided that a night out would do us well.

So, after repeatedly assuring Elijah that I wasn't really in that much pain anymore and applying a touch of makeup on my face, we'd headed out to the party that Drayton was hosting. Elijah has been sour since we'd pulled up the large house, his face twisting in disgust and annoyance as we'd exited the car.

Although, I believed that his intense mood was due to a phone call he'd stepped away to take a while ago. When I'd asked him about it, he brushed me off but my instincts told me it was his definitely father.

"Eli, you're hurting me," I said suddenly as he added a bit of pressure to my hand clasped in his own.

"Fuck. Sorry." He apologized as we came to a halt in the kitchen. It was a little quieter and less crowded in here in comparison to the rest of the house. "You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." I nodded as I brought my hand to my chest, rubbing the sore area a bit. Elijah frowned at the action but nodded along to my statement anyway.

"You know, it's not too late to leave, babe. Let's just go home. It's Sunday night and your parents are out of town. I can think of a million other things we could be doing right now," Elijah spoke seductively, his voice dropping a few octaves as he bit my ear gently.

"No way, lover boy. Bella invited us and I really think we should get out of the house." I dismissed him with a light chuckle. "We've had enough time alone."

Elijah groaned in response, his head dropping back with a dramatic sigh before he nodded. He stepped away from me, his hand digging into the cooler to retrieve us drinks. He offered me a beer that he'd hotly unscrewed with his teeth as he got himself a bottle of water much to my surprise.

"You're not drinking?" I asked in surprise. "You do know you can drink a little although you're driving."

"No." Elijah shook his head with furrowed eyebrows. "Not only am I driving, I'm also here to take care of you. I need to be sober to do that effectively."

"You know, Eli, you can say what you want but you're a big softie." I chuckled. He rolled his eyes in playful annoyance, his head dipping to press a quick kiss to my lips before pulling away.

"I must say, you look sinfully hot in that tight dress. It does wonders for your ass." Elijah smirked, his hand slipping down to my butt for emphasis as he gave it a firm squeeze, seemingly pleased with himself. He hummed in satisfaction before dragging his hands back up to my back and resting them there.

"Elijah!" I scolded. "Keep your hands above the equator."

"You definitely weren't saying that two nights ago when I had my fingers so fucking deep in you." He whispered heatedly in my ear. "If I remember correctly, you were a squirming, moaning mess in my hands. Tsk, tsk, such a bad girl, McCarthy."

"Do you kiss your mother with that mouth, Hastings?" I asked as I shoved his chest lightly. Elijah chuckled in response, his tongue darting out to wet his lips as he smirked down at me.